Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with finding a maiden name?

Hi,
    I have John and Ann Myers in the 1861 census, living at Lane Ends, Bramley, nr. Leeds.
    John was born in Farsley, Yorkshire and Ann was born in Bramley (nr. Leeds), Yorkshire.
    All their children were also born in Bramley, so I"m assuming they were married there.
    Their first child Sarah Hannah was born 1848, so I'm guessing they were married around this time.

Can any one find a maiden name for Ann??

Thanks in advance

Tracy

There are numerous possible marriages, even if you only look at Leeds registration district, so I would think you would have to get a birth cert for one of the children to confirm Ann's maiden surname before you risk deciding which is the right marriage

Edit: Bramley is in Hunslet district, but I can't see any suitable marriages there.
    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 20-08-08, 22:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      There are numerous possible marriages, even if you only look at Leeds registration district, so I would think you would have to get a birth cert for one of the children to confirm Ann's maiden surname before you risk deciding which is the right marriage

Edit: Bramley is in Hunslet district, but I can't see any suitable marriages there.
      Thanks Merry.:D

I'd try to find out where Bramley was, on the cesnus, it just says Bramley, Leeds!!
      Yes, I think I'm better getting a birth certificate.
      Thanks for your help.

Tracy

Comment

On the YorksBMD site,
        Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths
        this is the most likely candidate - but then, even tho' most of Leeds marriages seem to have been transcribed, "your" marriage may not have been transcribed yet...

1846 MYERS John WAITE Ann St Peter, Leeds Leeds CE46/21/476

In particular, St Margaret, Bramley has not yet been transcribed.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Tracey, just a thought that Farsley is more likely to be Farnley.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think this is the family in 1851, mistranscribed as Spiress, though the image looks like Miress.

HO107; Piece: 2315; Folio: 39; Page: 4;

John 26 b Farsley
            Ann 25 b Bramley
            Sarah 3
            Mary J 1
            John Waite lodger 26
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That Waite lodger hangs well with the potential marriage.
              Jess

Comment

Elder brother??

Comment

leeds is the city,yorkshire is the county,bramley,hunslet are in leeds,there estates .i come from leeds,lived in hunslet.you can find them on ... google... leodis... and put the place in,leodis is the old name of leeds.the leodis site is good.brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                    leeds is the city,yorkshire is the county,bramley,hunslet are in leeds,there estates .i come from leeds,lived in hunslet.you can find them on ... google... leodis... and put the place in,leodis is the old name of leeds.the leodis site is good.brenda xxx
                    Thanks for this Brenda! What a great site! So Farsley is correct!! Makes things clearer now!!

Comment

Working...
                    X