Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re ad for estate beneficiary

(Image from Gazette Website)

William Hadrill, above, of whom I have found no trace after 1871, was my great grandfather’s brother and Thomas, I believe, was another brother, born Wiltshire c1849.

There were no children shown on the census during Thomas’ first marriage. He remarried in 1900 and shows on the 1901 with his second wife. Again, there were no children, but his wife was only 32 at that time, so there may have been births after 1901. I have found Thomas’ probable death Lambeth March Q 1931.

As I have not come across a similar advertisement before, I am wondering whether it is possible to infer anything significant from the wording, in particular, whether the reference to “ascertained next of kin” is an indication that there was no will.

If this is the case, is there anywhere I could find out out who the ascertained next of kin were?

Finally, if the ad does not establish that there was no will, does the fact that an administrator has been appointed mean that probate must already have been granted?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Being an avid follower of "Heir Hunters", I'd assume there was no will. If there was a will the estate would be distributed according to what it said. I don't know what would happen if the will was incapable of being executed (all the executors or beneficiaries dead, for example). It does look as though the solicitors have been appointed by The Public Trustee.

Not being a lawyer I will bow to superior knowledge!!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John - I keep meaning to watch Heir Hunters, I've heard so many references to it lately.

Disappointing though - a will might just have let me know whether it was worth continuing to search for Thomas' other missing siblings.
      Gillian

Comment

Or could it mean that there was a Will, but William couldn't be found to inherit his share ?

Gwyn

Comment

I would have thought that if there was a will the advert would say "executor" rather than "administrator". If there was no will then administration would have been granted, rather than probate.

If you can get to a record office, LDS Family History Centre or probate office which has the microfiches of the National Probate Calendar then you can look up the entry and see what was granted, to whom and when.

As for who the "ascertained next of kin" were, the only way I can think of would be to get a copy of the letter of administration, which you can order in the same way as a copy of a will. But if the letter doesn't say, then I think you would have to find out whether the solicitors' file on the estate still exists - possibly at a record office or possibly still held by the firm of solicitors if they are still going.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Gwyn and Kate. "Legal-speak" still baffles me! And googling for the rules in the early 20th century re beneficiaries in a case of an estate where there is/are no wife/children hasn't thrown up anything useful.

Presumably someone closely related to the family must have provided information to the solicitors as they have William's full details.

Incidentally, I wonder if The Gazette is adding new information? I would swear that I had already opened every image referring to Hadrill on previous searches, so it was a real surprise to come across this one yesterday.
            Gillian

Comment

Working...
            X