Book layout help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book layout help please

After making sure i have most things in my book that i want (certs, photos etc) should i have a section for things rather than them being in people order? e.g i currently have it as my nan, her paternal line, then her maternal line. In there are certs and census' after each person, with married people, children and parents just one one census page, highlighting the section and putting notes on the side of the page as to who they are, rather than having the same one 3 times. But is it better to have the census' added at the end of the paternal/maternal section with the narrative showing what x grandparent they are?

So is it better to have family sheet of man and wife, man detail, birth cert, marriage cert, death cert, census, female detail, birth cert, death cert, census. These census images will show husband/wife or child/parents, with the most recent grandparent having all their census', then their parents will have any that are earlier than the child being born and so on until the 1841. (so the further back you go the less census' there will be directly with that persons info as it will already be included with their childrens info)

Or am i best to have it without the census' and then add them in at the end? I think this would confuse my nan though, but obviously without duplicating all the census' and having one for each person it may get confusing too.

I hope that all makes sense, and i would like the census info to be in the book so cant just leave it out.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

When I did a "book of ancestors" for my aunt, I arranged the main description going back one generation at a time. I filed all the certificates and censuses in date order at the back. I got a d-ring binder and a pile of punched pockets.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've recently done a family history for my lot. I split the book into chapters based on my parents' paternal and maternal lines. Each chapter had a graphic of the relevant part of the family tree at the beginning and I then told the story going back. The story did not contain too much information regarding exact dates just the years and looked at where they lived, where they moved to, and events that overtook them - deaths, change of jobs, etc. Much of the story you can gather from the source documents. It's surprising how you can fill it out. I tried to supply as much background social history information as possible. For instance, some of mine where straw plaiters. I found some useful information on that and included it. Some were Ag Labs - again you can write a lot about their social conditions. For some of the information I included source page references where needed.
      At the end of each chapter I listed all the relevant documents and page numbers which were filed in an accompanying folder. This meant that one could read the story and if that was enough for them, so be it, but if they wanted to know more then they had the source material to look at and explore as they go through the story. You could however, include it at the end of the same book.

In the introduction I spent some time describing the source documents: census, BMD, etc., and the problems they pose.

Having said all this, mine only went back to 1770, so this may not be suitable for your situation.

Good luck in your endeavour.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
      X