which subscribtion should I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which subscribtion should I buy

Hello, i am new to doing my family tree.

In the past I have purchased credits for find my past and found this quite easy to use, 2 months ago I paid for an Ancestry subscription which I felt that I had to cancel as alot of the time I couldn't view any images and I had alot of trouble with mistranscriptions that I just could not see my way around. Has anyone used the geneolgist website?

which is the best to use, should I re-new my ancestry subscription and persevere and try to make better use of it

or should I try another website

thank you
    Last edited by No shoes; 20-08-08, 15:49.

No shoes

Hallo and welcome

I think it depends on what you want. I found that Genealogist ate my credits and didn't find much on it.

Ancestry has the most information. If there are problems viewing images you need to contact them. I haven't had this problem, except occasionally and I've just tried again.

Mistranscriptions abound in all records, whatever site they are on. Once you've done more you will become better at thinking of different variants on what you are looking for.

Personally, I wouldn't be without Ancestry. I refer to the censuses, bmd indexes and Pallot's, and WW1 records several times a week.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you are new to genealogy, and presuming that you are interested in English and Welsh records, then I personally think the most useful site would be one that hosts the full set of census, which at the current time is Ancestry.

Findmypast does not yet have the 1851 census and only has two counties for 1901, but it does have a very useful feature in that the census can be searched using an address, and I think their transcriptions are generally better than Ancestry.

You will probably find mistranscriptions on any site that you choose to use, and experience with searching will help you find what you are looking for.
      As to not being able to view images, although I have not had this problem I know others have. I would have thought it worthwhile phoning Ancestry to complain about this - there is a freephone number if you live in the UK which can be used.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Little Nell and Elaine ..Spain

It seems like Ancestry is the one i'm going to have to go for was just checking in case there was any other internet based resource that I had missed.

When I was having problems with Ancestry and viewing the images I emailed them and they emailed me back to say it was my computer. 1 main computer and 4 lap tops in this house and it was the same on all of them.lol

Comment

No shoes, have you got a family tree program on your computer? You will need one to keep all your info on as you go along. If you get the Family Treemaker 2006 v16 - which is about £11 at the moment you get a months free ancestry included.

Comment

thanks Heather i haven't got a family tree programme on my computer is this something I should invest in.

I've just re newed my Ancestry subs and the prices and access have changes, this has allowed me to have another 2 weeks free trial.

This is turning into an expensive hobby.lol

Comment

No such thing as a free lunch, but the money spent on subs would in the past have been spent on travelling to archives. Not to mention the time you save now!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello and welcome noshoes

It's pretty essential that you keep the "master" copy of your family tree on your own computer (and back it up regularly). That way, if you lose access to the internet or a particular website, you don't lose all your information. All the well-known family tree programs will let you create a GEDCOM file (universal data file) that you can then upload to other places.

I also wouldn't be without Ancestry.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

visiting the archives is something that I am still yet to experience, i'm so new to this. I think my postie thought I had a screw loose when I was waiting for my first cert to arrive, I was so excited.lol

Comment

sorry uncle John, i missed your post there as I was posting

thank you all for the welcome, this site is fab, I love the wiki

Comment

I wouldn't be without Ancestry whilst they are the ony site with all the census years. However, I agree their transcriptions are not as accurate as some other sites, but if you can't find someone there are lots of eager beavers on this site who will try and help you find your relatives!

Comment

Welocme to the site Noshoes, hope you enjoy doing this mad hobby,,,lol
                        you will find like people have said ancestry is the best did it ask you to download viewer, its something that it used to do , if not think you need to allow either active x or java, someone will tell you better than me in due time when they see your new ;;good luck in your hunting and dont be afraid to ask questions on here as well
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi No Shoes.
                          If you can post up the exact details of what happens when you try to view an image on ancestry, then maybe someone on here can help you to sort it out. I would say ancestry is the best.

The Genealogist does have an all-inclusive subscription available, so it doesn't have to eat credits, but I don't know whether it has all the censuses yet, and the last time I used it you had to search the censuses county by county and there were other quirks of its search that I found annoying. Also, The Genealogist keeps a close eye on the lookups that you do, and people have found themselves banned from using it and / or charged a hefty extra fee if they are suspected to be doing lookups for someone else, whereas ancestry don't seem to mind how many lookups you do.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi all

borobabs, I've been playing with ancestry since I re subscribed and I haven't had a problem so far, touch wood,

Merry Monty Montgomery
                            You might wish you never wrote those words offering help
                            I have Hills, Jones and Smith in my tree.lol
                            Suprisingly the only one I'm having problems with is my 'Hill' line

Must learn to type quicker.lol
                            Thanks kite runner i've not had a problem all afternoon, yippie
                            Last edited by No shoes; 20-08-08, 18:10. Reason: kite runner replied while i was typing

Comment

I've got over 300 Smiths in my tree! maybe we are related??!!!!!! lol :D

Comment

Brilliant fingers X your sorted regards ancestry then dear ;;;oh Im lucky one 1 smith no hills or Jones's lol
                                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Debbie (No Shoes)

Welcome.

Sorry I couldn't help you when you pm'd me this morning.

Get a family tree program. You can get a free download from the family search website.
                                  It's essential in my opinion to have one of some sort. I use Family Tree Maker.

Comment

If you don't have a Tree Programe then download a free PAF file from Family Search or sign up for a Tribal Pages free site.
                                    I agree with others Ancestry is the better site to pay a subscription too. What images were you trying to view? census should be ok but you can't see more than the indexes for BMD's. You won't get to view the actual certificates.
                                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Welome and happy hunting!

I have had reason to complain to Ancestry and received the standard reply - 'it's your computer!' Having said that, I wouldn't be without it but as others have advised, it's well worth having your own programme, be it the free one hosted by Family Search, or something like Family Tree Maker.

Do feel free to add requests here as folk are always willing to help - and don't worry if you think it's 'silly' - I've made plenty of them ;) and people have been superb.

Gwyn

Last edited by Oscar; 20-08-08, 20:40. Reason: Interupted by a phone call, so late in posting this - others have said what I've said too!
                                      Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Hi No shoes

Do you have a list of useful free sites ?

Here are some :-

Family Trees - Genealogy & Family History

FreeBMD Home Page

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

CuriousFox UK genealogy message boards - villages, towns, local history, UK maps

Lost Cousins Putting Relatives In Touch

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X