Eyeballs out on stalks! Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeballs out on stalks! Need help!

Hi, newbie here. I'm building my tree (fabulous experience!) and have located a great great grandfather as Joseph Chapman b.1843 in Waddington, Lincs. I also found him listed as grandson to William Chapman b.1793 in Waddington, Lincs in the 1851 census. I just can't find Josephs parents! Any help appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to FTF

This looks like Joseph's baptism in the IGI (from Family Search)

JOSEPH CHAPMAN
    Event(s):
    Birth:
    Christening: 16 JAN 1843 Waddington, Lincoln
    Parents:
    Mother: MARY CHAPMAN
    Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Looks as if he was the illagitimate son of Mary Chapman (who is presumably the dau of William )

Comment

This looks like the baptism of Joseph's mother:

MARY CHAPMAN
      Event(s):
      Birth:
      Christening: 01 JAN 1826 Waddington, Lincoln
      Parents:
      Father: WILLIAM CHAPMAN
      Mother: REBECCA
      Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Comment

Thanks for that MMM. One more thing if you don't mind. I seem to hit the wall after the 1841 census. Any tips on what i should do to continue? Thanks

Comment

Joseph's birth reg:

Births Mar 1843
          Chapman Joseph Lincoln 14 479

Comment

It looks as if the PR's for Waddington are on the IGI right from the 1500's, though anything you get from this source should be followed up with looking at the actual registers. For instance, it's possible the original entry for Joseph's baptism may give the name of his father.

Comment

It's possible that Mary Chapman married Benjamin Groves who was probably a widower (as he has a son aged 11 in 1851!):

Marriages Jun 1847
              CHAPMAN Mary Lincoln 14 865 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
              Groves Benjamin Lincoln 14 865 <<<<<<<<<<<<
              Moore Elizabeth Lincoln 14 865
              SIMONS William Lincoln 14 865

In 1851 Mary Groves is the right age and birthplace to fit with the baptism record of Mary Chapman.

Comment

Hey, thanks for your help. I'm on the IGI's now. Should have started this ages ago. What an experience!

Comment

Don't forget you must back up everything you find online with primary sources where possible (certificates, original parish records etc etc etc etc etc). You don't want to find yourself doing someone elses tree! lol

Comment

Mmm. Someone elses tree would be a disaster! Lol. This IGI is very interesting thanks. Managed to find some maiden names i've been looking for too. I've not even started on my fathers side yet! Looks like a long but pleasant journey ahead

Comment

Welcome Steve
                      It really will be a long and interesting journey. I have been researching my family for over 5 years. I have more than 1900 people in my tree so far but still have a long way to go.
                      Happy hunting!!
                      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Hi Steve, and welcome to FTF. You'll find lots of useful information for newbies in our Wiki (the FTF reference library). Just click on "The Wiki" at the top of the page and follow your nose.

Comment

Thanks for that Mary. I just need to slow down! This is all so amazing, new facts coming thick and fast every minute! I'm boring friends to death with all this but they haven't a clue what they're missing! Lol

Comment

I think we all do that to begin with

Take Merry's advice and check your facts really carefully, though, because it's so easy to follow the wrong line in the first flush of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by steve08 View Post
                              I'm boring friends to death with all this but they haven't a clue what they're missing! Lol
                              Yes, that is rather a problem! You may find you don't have any non-family-history-friends eventually!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                Take Merry's advice and check your facts really carefully, though, because it's so easy to follow the wrong line in the first flush of enthusiasm.
                                I'll second that! And the best way to ensure you are doing your correct tree is to start with you and work backwards one step at a time. Family "facts" so often turn out to be "nearly right" and you may find stray brothers and sisters popping out of the woodwork.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Steve

Be aware that the IGI is not complete. Many many parishes are not covered. Also, there are no burials, well very few. You need to check the original record to make sure that the person who you believe to be your whatever great grandparent didn't die as a child.

It's a trap that many do fall into. Always try to "kill your ancestors off".

Welcome to the site, by the way.

Ask away if you get stuck.

Comment

Welcome to the site!

If you're researching Lincs names, then you may find it useful to pick up on the marriage transcriptions database (free). I think it covers 1837-1857 - and a lot of Districts are covered now. I don't have the link here (on office lunch break) but it's probably in the Wiki.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                      If you're researching Lincs names, then you may find it useful to pick up on the marriage transcriptions database (free). I think it covers 1837-1857 - and a lot of Districts are covered now. I don't have the link here (on office lunch break) but it's probably in the Wiki.
                                      This is probably the site Christine was referring to.
                                      Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837-1850
                                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine

Teamwork! - That is, indeed, the one I meant.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X