Dating a large lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating a large lady

No, not a lonely hearts ad, she will be going in the costume gallery when I can narrow down the date, I won't say what I think but will let others give their opinions. She lived 1803-1882.

Hi Jill
    Just googled this

Derbyshire Photographers Profiles : Jacob Schmidt of Belper

Jacob's eldest son William moved to Kent after his marriage (1878) and also set up as a Photographer

Is there an address for the photo studio in Margate ?

Might be worth looking on the censuses too

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 20-08-08, 12:10.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, he's in Margate for the 1881 census though not at the Fort Hill address of the studio. If William Schmidt moved there after his marriage in 1878 and the sitter died 1882 then that narrows it considerably.
      This is her daughter in law, taken by H Goodman 1&6 Fort Hill Margate.
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 20-08-08, 12:58. Reason: added d-i-l

Comment

maybe 1830 as her hair is still dark,she has a wedding ring on,she could be pregnant as well as big.the dresses made them look bigger. brenda xxx

Comment

Not long before she died I should think.
          She looks almost to be dressed in a mourning outfit of some sort.

way too old to be ''with child'' i'd have thought
          Jess

Comment

I'm going to go for 1879, a year after the Goodman & Schmidt partnership began, I had late 1870s in mind anyway because of all the heavy tassells & frills. Thanks folks, she'll be in the wiki once i've made dinner.

Comment

Hello Jill,
              There's quite a bit of information which could help narrow down the date
              Derbyshire Photographers Profiles : Jacob Schmidt of Belper

The story would indicate that it was taken between 1881 and 1901.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, Rachel gave me the link too, I'll be sending a pic of the old dear and the back of the photo to the site. The photographer entered that partnership by 1881 and the lady died by 1882, though the style seems to be older, I don't think old ladies were up with the latest fashions, the dress fits a period late 1870s.
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 20-08-08, 19:38.

Comment

I would agree with Jess, it looks as if the old lady is dressed in mourning clothes, although the dress appears to have a white lace collar & cuffs. Maybe that would explain the older style of dress.
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

it says margate on the photo is margate in kent?brenda xxx

Comment

That's right Brenda, a typical seaside holiday place for Londoners in those days, there was a regular steamer service between there & Margate.

Comment

Your big lady seems to be wearing a very smart walking dress of the middle 1870s, it's not a mourning outfit.

Comment

I agree its not a mourning dress Barbara, it doesn't look dark enough (and no-one in her family died around this time). Its sometime between 1878-82.

Comment

Working...
                          X