South African Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South African Research

I have a branch of my family with South African connections and have encountered a mystery.

I would like to check records from 1880 onwards, but don't know where to look. It involves a birth and a marriage, and also a person emigrating from England to South Africa.

I have looked at the Wiki, but couldn't find a good link.

At present I really don't want to go to any expense as it's rather an offshoot, but if I want to solve the mystery I might have to!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

The emigration could be on findmypast, but not if they emigrated before 1890. If I were you I would look through Cyndi's List:
    Cyndi's List - South Africa / Suid-Afrika
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

While I don't have any South African connections that I know of, I happened upon this site yesterday while searching for something completely different. It looks like it could be useful - if nothing else, there's a Beginner's Guide to South African Genealogy that you may want to look at.

Good luck -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Working...
      X