Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a copy birth cert from Exeter Register Office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone bought a copy birth cert from Exeter Register Office?

............and if "yes", how much did they charge you?

No

But it shouldn't be more than £7

How much are they trying to charge you?

Comment

SOME Local ROS charge £8.50, which covers admin and postage! I don't deal with them!

OC

Comment

Looks like Devon ones charge 50p P&P.

the other don't.

It says £20 for an express delivery

I've only ever paid £7 no matter where I have bought it from.

Comment

I think Warwickshire is the worst with their extra charge for ordering online, but I have seen some others that charge for P & P, can't remember which, but if I see that I just order from the GRO instead.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hah!! Well, APPARENTLY (according to a contact of mine) .....she phoned them to ask about a cert - she only wanted it if the mmn was X and she also wanted to query why there were two very similar entris for teh same birth in the GRO indexes. The Exeter registrar told her there had been a minor amendment to the child's name and also mentioned in passing the forename of the mother, which my contact hadn't told her, so presumably the registrar had got the register book in front of her at this point. My contact asked what it would cost for a copy of the cert.......

Are you ready????!!!

£7.50 if you would like the copy within 21-28 days

or, if you would like an express copy (presumably that's under 21 days????????!!! pmsl!)

it would be £28.50!!! lolol

My contact said she would go for the £7.50. If I hadn't been on my hols I would have told her to tell them to take a running jump and get the cert from the GRO!!! lol

I still don't know if I can believe this.....could my contact have misunderstood anything??!

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
              Looks like Devon ones charge 50p P&P.

the other don't.

It says £20 for an express delivery

I've only ever paid £7 no matter where I have bought it from.
              Oooh I missed your post, Margaret! So it is true! Unbelieveable.........and Express means under three weeks! lol

Comment

Oh I have just ordered one from Kings Lynn today and do you know never thought to ask how much they charged ;;;oh dear will have to keep eye out for bank details to see what they have charged ;;;
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I've ordered from a few different RO's in Staffordshire and they want an extra pound for postage (overseas) and a self address envelope enclosed with the order form.

I just look at it as I pay more to get a copy of my ancestors original signatures.

If I wanted a cert quickly I'd order via the GRO.
                  Kit

Comment

The ones I have had from North Gloucestershire and Newcastle-on-Tyne were £7.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I usually send a cheque for £7 to local offices but put a SAE in too.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I agree that paying a small amount more for a cert from a local office is a bargain to get those original sigs (if they do a photocopy), but I can't believe £20 extra to get a cert in under three weeks, especially when the registrar had the time to find the cert (surely often that's the bit that sometimes takes the time?) whilst my contact was still on the phone to her!

When my contact expressed surprise at the extra fee, the registrar didn't mention the GRO!

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                          I usually send a cheque for £7 to local offices but put a SAE in too.
                          Me too, Daphne!

Comment

You also need to watch out that copies of marriage register entries from Records Offices are also charged at £7, now, after a diktat from GRO (I believe)... unless you go and get it yourself!

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not quite the same Merry, but I have a bone to pick with Exeter Register Office. I got my granddad's death cert from them but there was a mistake as regards his place of birth, which I could prove, as I have the birth cert. When I contacted them about getting it put right, they wanted me to buy another birth cert to send to them to prove it (a scan of the one I already had would not do). I would have thought that, in any case, if they really wanted to put their record straight, they could have found his birth cert very easily for free. But they expected me to fork out another £7 - which I didn't.
                              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

The problem with death certificates is that they record what the informant told the registrar. I "know" where and when my father was born (abroad, in The Colonies) but I don't think I've ever seen his birth certificate. And I know the GRO have no record of my brother's birth (also abroad in The Colonies).
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X