Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeReg - its getting there! Getting loads of info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeReg - its getting there! Getting loads of info.

I am searching on FreeReg at the moment for my Rust family in East Harling, Norfolk. Had very little on them as not much for Norfolk is on the IGI. I do have the PR's on microfiche but find most of them impossible to read.

East Harling must have had a wonderful vicar. Most of the baptisms have date of birth as well as baptism and mothers maiden name.

Most burials have date of burial, age, parents, even mothers maiden name for adults.

Haven't looked at the marriages yet.

Check out FreeReg to see if yours are on there now.

FreeREG - Searches

I love freereg Margaret - very fortunately the guy in charge of Norfolk seems to be one of the most active with his team Id always believed one of my lot to be illegitimate BUT on freereg I found mum actually marrying the father just before the birht - she must have left him as she had another child later on, neither of the kids took another surname. But there it was, definitely a dad on the scene.

Comment

Thanks for that Margaret!! I have not looked at that site for some time now.
      So i have popped on and found a number of my Brittons and Oslers!!!
      Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

I've actually just reported a transcribers note error. The transcriber has noted that the child, a burial, was possibly illegitimate. Not so.

It says child of Thomas Tillott and Sarah Rust formerly Dent. transcribers note presumably illegitimate.

The fathers name was Thomas Tillott Rust who married a Sarah Dent. Tillott was his middle name.

I can see how it can be misconstrued but don't think transcribers should make assumptions.

I am very pleased with the info I am finding though.

Comment

Norfolk is great.

I do wish they would get a move on with other Counties though.

I offered to transcribe Hampshire and Isle of Wight Parish Records for them, but I'm still waiting.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wish I could be so lucky, don't seem to much for Berkshire or Gloucestershire, not with my surnames anyway :(:(
            www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
            http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
              I've actually just reported a transcribers note error. The transcriber has noted that the child, a burial, was possibly illegitimate. Not so.

It says child of Thomas Tillott and Sarah Rust formerly Dent. transcribers note presumably illegitimate.

The fathers name was Thomas Tillott Rust who married a Sarah Dent. Tillott was his middle name.

I can see how it can be misconstrued but don't think transcribers should make assumptions.

I am very pleased with the info I am finding though.

Just had a reply from the transcriber herself. She is correcting the database. That's good service. Well pleased.

Comment

i want the isle of wight to be on to find my jolliffes at carisbrooke.
                that would be so brilliant (well i think carisbrookes in the isle of wight.)
                the meercat.

Comment

Well, I keep looking, but I haven't found anything of interest to me. Some counties hardly seem to have started. Perhaps that's why I forget to go on there!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Meercat, yes, Carisbrooke is on the Isle of Wight. There is a castle there.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There's more now and of course as we find out more we want to look in more places or have more names to search, so well worth revisiting.

Not much for Glos, but I am fortunate that some of my Glos parishes are well covered on the IGI already.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for the Norfolk mention, Margaret.

I've managed to nail down the cousins on OHs side that both married the same fella - one legally, the other bigamously.
                        Just need to tie their fathers together now.
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Ive never found any Lancashire rellis yet..

I did offer to do some transcribing but I never had a reply so I ended up transcribing for freeBMD instead..

]

Comment

I guess i'm in for a long wait as oxfordshire is not even on the list of counties! And as chrissie confused said not much for Berkshire, at least not for what i'm looking for! Never mind, its great that people are transcribing the records.

Comment

Would some kind person give me the correct website address for this one as I googled FreeRegs and came up with a million sites to troll through. Much appreciated Val

Comment

Here you go ;;;

FreeREG Search
                                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Unless you live near some archives and are willing to spend many hours there, the main option is to have a fiche reader and buy the fiche from the records office - that's if the record office sells the fiche. I know Wiltshire and Somerset do (hopefully, Wiltshire will soon get going now there is a new co-ordinator). Don't know if Norfolk RO sell fiche but this could be an explanation.

BTW, I have a spare microfiche reader looking for a new home for free if anyone in the N Wales area wants one
                                  CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Essex and Hampshire both do as well. I think Essex you put your order in and they do them and send them all out once a month, not sure what the procedure is at Hampshire. Bought a Microfiche reader myself about two months ago, but its still in the cupboard while I am decorating new home..nearly finished thank gawd!

Also worth pointing out if the county record office don't sell the parish fiche, sometimes the local genealogical society will, or may even have transcripts available on CD rom, always worth checking.

Comment

Good point Richard. However, I'm not too happy about transcribing existing transcriptions.
                                      Also, as FreeReg point out, their records should only be used as a guide. If you find something of interest, then check it yourself against the fiche.

Mistakes happen so it was good of Margaret to point it out- transcribers have access to their files on FreeReg and can upload corrected files into a sort of 'waiting room', until they main site opload takes place (once a month). Consequently any corrections will probably not appear immediately.
                                      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

I also have my own fiche reader, but many places aren't available to buy. Derbyshire is a prime example.

Also, if its a large parish and your ancestors were there forever, it gets costly too.

As I said earlier, I do have the fiche of the parish registers for the place I am checking on FreeReg, but find most of them too fient to read.

Comment

Working...
                                        X