Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coat of arms meaning

hi,

i bought a copy of my family cost of arms, however it doesnt tell you what each bit means. i do have the meaning of the name as well but this doesnt help with coat of arms (only what is on it)

does anyone know of any free sites that tell you what crowns/trees etc mean?
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I am sure there are sites that tell you what each bit means BUT how genuine is it? I suppose you can put together a coat of arms with anything on it you choose.

Can you show it to us?
    Jess

Comment

the Lackey family coat of arms, this is the same as on the lackey name meaning and a book sent by a living relative.

Comment

Symbolism of Heraldry

Family crests and coat of arms designs -- historically accurate from official blazons or customized to suit your needs.

This is what I mean by how genuine?

http://www.freecoatsofarms.com/recom...seofnames.html Put Lackey in search box top left

I wonder where they sourced that particular one?
        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 19-08-08, 10:30.
        Jess

Comment

thanks jess, will go look

Comment

When people have coats of arms designed for them, they choose symbols that are relevant: either a pun on their name or recognising something they have done.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

the image for the name lackey is of similar make to that of the clan macgregor who we are part of.

Comment

I have a copy of the Pusey Coat of Arms, but I don't think it has anything to do with our branch of the Puseys.

Where would you find out if you were entitled to use the Coat of Arms?
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy

If you were entitled you'd know about it!

There is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'. Many people of the same surname will often be entitled to completely different coats of arms, and many of that surname will be entitled to no coat of arms. Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.
                  source: College of Arms FAQ section.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

the books of the clans of scotland tell you about those entitled to wear/use them. and under the caln macgregor, (in a friends book i borrowed) said something like "those of the clan macgregor and its affiliates can use the coat of arms and wear its tartan. i will borrow the book again and give you the exact wording.

Comment

I am quite certain that way back in my tree is just a long line of serfs, certainly no one with armorial rights!

Comment

Yummy

Also from FAQs in above quoted source:

Can the College of Arms tell me what my clan badge is?

A. No. The first point to note is that the apparently quite widespread, but new, belief that everyone has a clan, and can wear some specific tartan or display a clan badge, is quite erroneous. Only those of Scottish descent can be associated with a clan in any way. The clan system is an entirely Scottish phenomenon, and consists of a few groups of families, centred on old and historically prominent families, with other associated families (some of the same name as the principal lineage, but many not). To count as a clan, with a chief, these groups need to be recognized as such by the chief Scottish herald, the Lord Lyon King of Arms. This leads on to the second point, which is that it is Lord Lyon, and not the English College of Arms, who has authority and responsibility over matters relating to clans.

Comment

the lackeys are from scotland and then ireland

Comment

There's a whole lot of stuff on Clan McGregor, including the sept McOnachie, which one of my distant rellies married into (though this McOnachie came from a farm in the West country!).

Comment

theres 2 "branches" as such of macgregor - 1 is mac the other is mc. i believe they do end up in the same place. (i hope this makes sense. i know what i want to say but cant think of correct words).

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-of-2 View Post
                                the Lackey family coat of arms, this is the same as on the lackey name meaning and a book sent by a living relative.

[ATTACH]10866[/ATTACH]
                                the name lackey,was that one of robin hood charectors?brenda xxx

Comment

Tartans are a relatively new phenomena and were only invented about 250 years ago, by woollen weavers anxious for a bit more interest in their wares.

Sir Walter Scott was single-handedly responsible for the romantic idea that every Scotsman belongs to a Clan and would fight to the death for it. They didn't, but the Victorians took up the idea with great gusto and now every self-respecting Scotsman belongs to a clan - or he thinks he does!

Given the extreme difficulty of early Scottish surnames - they changed their names according to who they were talking to and where they were at the time, and a man called McCulloch on on side of the mountain might be known as McIntyre when he went round the other side!

I was told that Mc is a lowland prefix and Mac is a Highland prefix, but that doesn't take mistranscriptions into account.

OC

Comment

This might help with the meaning of the various symbols.

A GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED IN HERALDRY by JAMES PARKER

But the one you show looks a bit fanciful to me. That is not how a proper coat of arms would be depicted in heraldry, it is more of an artistic interpretation I think.

I would imagine the surname Lackey to be French originally. Unless it denotes the status of the original man (King's lackey)

OC

Comment

Ooooooh!! My Grants still have a chief.

Comment

Working...
                                      X