Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting printer to 2nd computer?

Hello, thanks for looking.

I have had a new printer/scanner for a while and have had problems scanning from the pc. Found out it is because my pc has too little RAM for the scanning operations. So, I am going to get some more RAM but meanwhile, can I connect a laptop to the printer?

Do I have to install the software or could I just connect it through USB, and then will it search for software online?

I want to leave the old pc connected for printing but use the laptop for scanning.

Hope that makes sense and that some kind soul can help, please.

Jen xx
    "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Yes you can do this, but you will have to keep unplugging the scanner when youwant to print and vice versa.

If the laptop is XP or Vista there is a good chance it will work as soon as you plug it in. If it doesn't then you will need to install the software from the CD.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy, thank you.

Please can you clear up the following question? I *know* I used to be bright, dunno what went wrong!

When you say keep unplugging the scanner do you mean take out the connection to the pc before sticking the laptop cable in the usb? Or unplug the power?

:o
      Last edited by Jen Red Purple; 19-08-08, 10:57.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

I would have thought that if you keep your other printer as the default printer you would not have to keep unplugging the scanner/printer.

I have two printers set up on my computer and the default one is the one automatically selected and when I want to use the other then I manually selected. I am no expert but I would think that the software that you use for scanning will recognise the scanner/printer as a scanner. If I am wrong, there are plenty out there with much more knowledge on this than me.

Linda
        LindaG

Comment

Sorry, Linda, I haven't made myself clear here, I tend to waffle! :o

There is only one printer, which is also a scanner.

My desktop will print things but not scan them.

I want to leave the printer where it is, sitting next to my desktop screen, and bring in the laptop.

The laptop should have enough RAM to do the scanning, so I can scan stuff, save it to a stick and transfer it onto my pc.

Thanks for your help.
          Last edited by Jen Red Purple; 19-08-08, 14:32.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen Red Purple View Post
            Hi Wendy, thank you.

Please can you clear up the following question? I *know* I used to be bright, dunno what went wrong!

When you say keep unplugging the scanner do you mean take out the connection to the pc before sticking the laptop cable in the usb? Or unplug the power?

:o

I meant that you just have to unplug the usb plug from the PC when you want to use the laptop.
            Wendy

Comment

OK, got ya, thanks very much - I will give it a go shortly.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen Red Purple View Post
                Sorry, Linda, I haven't made myself clear here, I tend to waffle! :o
                Don't apologise, it's been one of those days and I guess I'm not quite with it today. Hope you've got everything sorted now.

Linda
                LindaG

Comment

Yay!

Pulled the usb out the back of the tower, whacked it in the lappy, agreed to search for driver & that was it!

Printed a doc off fine.

But I am going to have to put the cd in for the all-in-one software so I can scan.

Thanks again, Wendy & Linda xx

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
                    Wendy

Comment

Working...
                    X