Surnames beginning with A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surnames beginning with A

Just a quick tip - stick an H on the front as a variant when searching for a surname beginning with A if all else has failed. One of my Abbotts married under the name of Habbott and I've just found a possible remarriage for an Allison under Hallison. (Both from Lancashire, don't think its a quirk of that accent but a general Victorian one)

I suppose it might work the other way round too - Olden instead of Holden? The H at the beginning of my own surname has been dropped a couple of times on items through the post.

Good tip. I have been called "Mrs Heavens" several times by children at the school where I work (real surname Evans)!

I did find my Emmons/Emmins lot down as Hammond in 1841, so if ancestor's name begins with a vowel you could try shoving an H in front.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was born in Enfield Middx - people round here in Sussex think I mean the Sussex village Henfield:(

Comment

As opposed to folk who come from 'Ackney?!

Comment

Yesterday I found one of my Horniman relations mentioned in the newspaper (1819) as Orniman! lol So it works both ways with H followed by a vowel

Comment

Jill

I think it WAS a Lancashire trait to drop the H...and to add one as well in times of stress.

I can remember my Lancashire relatives, greeting people in the street with "How HAR you?", to which the polite reply was
            "HI'm very well, thankyou"

I routinely search for the Oldens. Another Lancashire tip - if the name ends in -en, try -ing. Another Lancashire speech peculiarity.

OC

Comment

My Alexanders were often Alixanders, but I haven't come across "Halexander" yet! :D
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

My OH's Etherington ancestors often turn up as Hetherington. And my Aughtons are sometimes Haughton. (Both families from Lancashire)
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Jill

I think it WAS a Lancashire trait to drop the H...and to add one as well in times of stress.

I can remember my Lancashire relatives, greeting people in the street with "How HAR you?", to which the polite reply was
                  "HI'm very well, thankyou"

I routinely search for the Oldens. Another Lancashire tip - if the name ends in -en, try -ing. Another Lancashire speech peculiarity.

OC
                  My headmaster at primary school was Mr Holding, does that make him one of yours?
                  Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Slightly wide of topic, but...

I was always amused by the department store in Clapham:
                    Arding and Hobbs.

I used to find it quite difficult to say, as my mouth was quite convinced that there was an H at the start of the first name, whatever my eyes told me. :o

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      My headmaster at primary school was Mr Holding, does that make him one of yours?
                      Reminds me of the cricket gaffe: "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey".
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That wasn't a gaffe, I bet he'd been waiting to say it since he saw the team lists!
                        Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I agree; given those two names that sentence was inevitable. A classic.

Comment

Working...
                          X