I know I should know but ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I should know but ....

I cant remember how we are supposed to find an address on 1881 without a name please?

Just leave the name blank and enter the address in the "street address" box

Comment

But Mary when I do that it comes up with zilcho results. Ive tried putting in "pretend" names to confuse the system but it doesnt work.

Comment

What are you looking for Heather? It is sometimes easier to help knowing what search criteria you are using.
        Elaine

Comment

Its just an exercise really Elaine. I want to have the knowledge should I need it.

I entered an address to see who had lived there in 1881 but without a name it just says

Your Search returned no matches
          Why?

Your search returned zero matches.
          See Search Tips
          What should you do?

* Add search terms — even a guess increases your chances of getting a high-quality match.
          * Try using wildcards in your search to match variant spellings.

I entered on the 1881 no names - county Norfolk, village Hethersett, address 2 School Road

Comment

Try just putting the word "School" in the address box, without the number and the word "Road".

If the enumerator's put "School Rd", you won't get any hits. And not everywhere had house numbers entered.

Comment

Try just School road without the no. 2 it may be that they didn't no the houses?

Comment

Well I would never put the house number in when searching, and would normally put the place name in the Keyword box, rather than the Civil Parish box.

I suppose the question is - do you know if School Road existed in 1881.
                Checking on FMP for 1871 there was no School Road in Hethersett, although there was "School House", and "by School".
                Elaine

Comment

GGFX3 died in 1861 at School Road, Hethersett. It must have been a brand new house then It was difficult tracking down where they were as the road has a different name now - but the local library told me where the original school had been so I worked out from there that a little terrace of houses nearby must be likely.
                  Ill have another go using less info. Thanks.

Comment

Nope, cant get it to work. Ive just trawled the whole village instead.

So how do people find addresses without a name then? I cant manage it.

Comment

Heather, it is quite possible that the name School Road was not used by the enumerator - and therefore you cannot find it when doing a search.
                      Elaine

Comment

If you look at the description of the enumeration district, it'll tell you which roads are listed.

Comment

Oooo .... I haven't tried that before ........ and it works......lol.

That's strange for something to work for me .... still trying to get into the Gale Site .....

Must be first time lucky.!!

Jean
                          Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

So how do people find addresses without a name then? I cant manage it.
                            Sometimes I put in a common surname and if that doesn't work, try it with just a first name such as Ann***

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Woo hoo. Did it. Obviously School Road must have been of local usage. SO I entered School and nothing else. Up comes the "National School" in "The Street" - lol

Comment

Congratulations!

Pre Ancestry, when we had street indexes and microfilm, best mate and I were trying to find her ancestor in Barming. We had the birth certificate with a street name, so we knew exactly what we were looking for.... and it wasn't there.

For some time we thought that the enumerator had missed out a whole chunk, but the modern maps showed the road was next to the pub, and when we found the pub, we found the family. Road name entirely different!
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                                X