Vista Lost Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Lost Files

I have saved a couple of images from Ancestry to new folders I have created. As I saved, a message came up saying they were being saved to the Temporary folder for security reasons.
    I assumed they would be easy to locate but I cannot find them; they are not in the new folders I created and I can't find the Temporary folder. :o
    Can anyone advise please? Also is there a way to stop this happening?
    Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Try looking here:-

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp

No idea how to stop it though.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy
      I have had a look and there are 3 temp files created yesterday with completely different names to what I called them (eg. DFA12C.tmp) but they will not open.
      I will try the Computeractive Forum and see if anyone there can tell me how to solve this. Thanks for your help.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Hi Lynne,

This is an Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) issue in Vista. In IE7, towards the bottom right of the screen you'll see the little globe and Internet | Protected Mode: On (or Off). When Protected Mode is on, Ancestry census images download to a temporary file, after which they are virtually impossible to find. But if Protected Mode is switched off, you can just download the images to whatever folder you choose.

To switch it off, just double-click where it says Protected Mode at the bottom of the screen, and then untick the box next to Enable Protected Mode. You may need to close and restart Internet Explorer for the change to take effect.

If you like, you can just turn Protected Mode back on again once you have completed your download.

A little more about Protected Mode from the Microsoft site:

Internet Explorer Protected Mode helps protect users and their systems from malicious downloads by restricting where files can be saved without the users consent.

In Protected Mode, Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista cannot modify user or system files and settings without user consent. Protected Mode requires the user to confirm any activity that tries to put something on your machine or start another program. By ensuring the user consents to these kinds of actions, the likelihood of automated and/or unwanted software installation is reduced. This feature also makes you aware of what a website is trying to do, giving you a chance to stop it and take time to double check the trustworthiness of the website.

More info: Internet Explorer Protected Mode
        Last edited by Cloggie; 18-08-08, 20:06.
        Sarah

Comment

Sarah
          Thank you so much for your very helpful assistance. I will revisit the images on Ancestry and download them again with the Protected Mode Off.
          Lynne

Comment

Sarah,

Very useful information. I have made a note of it in my Vista file for future reference.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

this happens to me a lot and it drives me nuts !!!

Comment

You're welcome! I'm happy to help. Although I think it was originally Grimsqueaker who found the solution.
                Sarah

Comment

Thanks, that was puzzling me too.

Comment

Working...
                  X