looking in 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking in 1861

I am trying to find Henry Chambers in 1861. He married Mary Ann in 1853, by 1861 they have four children Mary Ann 1854-Henry 1856-Emily 1858 and Thomas 1860. All the children were christened in St Dunstans Stepney. In 1871 they were living at 600 Mile End Road. When I look on findmypast in 1861 for Mile End Road, 600 isn't there. How can I search ancestry to find it please Rita
    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

There is a way to check the streets within a district but for St Dunstans in 1861 the district descriptions are different to normal. The listings just give the number of properties returns were taken from

By the look of it some of the census returns were also spoiled (just looked at one where only two lines of the page appear, it seems the rest of the page has been torn off and is missing).

In the wiki the technique to search for specific images is described on the following page

Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum

It might be that the house didn't exist as number 600 in the 1861, quite a few London districts and parishes changed dramatically in the years between the census.

You could always try and locate the neighbours just to see if they are still in the same area and check the images one by one for the adjacent households.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I can't see them on Ancestry, and I am wondering if they are in the missing pieces:

1861 census returns
      The following are known to be lost from the West London and London City registration districts: part of the parish of St Dunstan in the West (RG9/219), and parts of Cliffords Inn and Serjeants Inn within that parish (RG9/221); part of the parish of St Gregory by St Paul (RG9/220); the first six pages of the parish of St Bride (RG9/221); part of the Inner Temple (RG9/221); part of the parish of St Mary Staining (RG9/222); part of the parish of St Michael-le-Quern (RG9/223); part of St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate, including nos. 58-104 (but not no.77) Houndsditch (RG9/212 folios 140-143). Belgravia Sub-district, within St George's Hanover Square District, is also lost.

source: GENUKI: Middlesex Censuses

In addition to this, I know that there are parts missing or illegible in the St Luke/Shoreditch area too.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you both,what you are saying is the information is on the wiki, I really should have thought of that myself! In future wiki first and a posting if that fails!
        Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Working...
        X