Finding details of a Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding details of a Will

My paternal gfather, who I never met, died in the early/mid 1950s - not sure of the date - just remember Salvation Army man coming to the house to tell my father he had been left a bequest.

I remember the rows because father refused the bequest! It wasn't until very much later in life I learned that he'd walked away, and had absolutely no contact with his parents or many siblings, since the 1920s.

Anyway, now doing research, I'm fascinated by this memory, as gfather is listed as a builder's labourer in 1901 census. I can't trace him after that and sadly know nothing of any of the many family members at all. So just curiousity to try to find out a bit more.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

hiya

well firstly I would find/get his deth cert... then contact the Salvation Army and see if they can shed some light upon it.

Perhaps he was an Army member which is why they came with the bequest? I know some of my relatives were Army members but I know very little about their actual lives.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Perhaps the Salvation Army were used to trace your father, since he had no contact with the family.

Information about wills is in the Wiki
      Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Julie, but Little Nell I think what you're saying is most likely, and I suppose it will be the local branch of the salvation Army.......... I'll have a look on the Wiki later. Thanks
        Dorothy G

Comment

I nearly passed out when I went on that site Little Nell - the sample Will shown is for the name I looking for!! Phew!!! All hot and bothered now
          Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
          X