Baptism Date 15 Mar 1678/79
    Herongerdy
    Sex F
    Mother Mary DANDY
    Notes Base Daughter
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

That's an odd one. Mistranscribed?

It doesn't sound biblical, but I checked the Concordance just in case, and it isn't there.

I've tried writing it in scrawly script, but I can't imagine what it might be.

Comment

There is a burial listed for 16 Mar 1678 with the name Wronggervy Dandy. :(
      Elaine

Comment

Comment

I've tried saying it out loud in case it becomes apparent from the way it is said, but no luck.

What an odd one. I thought Lettision was weird enough (OH's 5-gt-grandmother, whose baptism and marriage we found). I think that was a corrupted spelling of Letitia or a variant.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Helen Gertie? - A bit early for Gertie as an abbreviation for Gertrude, though!

I'm trying to think what the name could be if it sounded like that in broad Norfolk!

Perhaps it was supposed to be Helen + the surname of the supposed father???

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Poor child. To be illegitimate and then to be buried as Wronggervy!

She isn't one of mine and with name like that, I doubt if many want to claim her.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Poor child. To be illegitimate and then to be buried as Wronggervy!

She isn't one of mine and with name like that, I doubt if many want to claim her.
                I'd rather have that than Mary Ann, any day.:D

Comment

Aah, Roger, but think how easy she would be to find on the census (assuming they could spell/transcribe her name correctly!!)!

My favourites are those with the names that are easy to research.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Helen Gertie? -
                    Christine
                    That's what I just came up with too (promise didn't look)

Ellen ? Erin ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                      Aah, Roger, but think how easy she would be to find on the census (assuming they could spell/transcribe her name correctly!!)!

My favourites are those with the names that are easy to research.
                      That was my point! But the possibilities of mistranscription are hideously numerous. Hadn't thought of that.

Comment

:o:o:o

Roger, that will teach me to read something quickly and just once without my reading glasses while in the middle of dishing up supper!

At least we agree!! :D
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

i have an ancestor who was born to a maior and sarah hindle in the early 1700's. all her siblings had the same parents. i have no idea, as i cant find a marriage or birth on familysearch.

Comment

Post some details on another thread and perhaps someone here can find your ancestor.

Comment

Hildegarde? Or some other name ending in (-garde).

OC

Comment

Trust OC to come up with that! You could well be right.

Comment

Yes, OC. I agree that's a real possibility. Well done!

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Or it could just be something like Margaret written very badly!

Comment

But it must have sounded something like "Wronggervy" for the burial entry to work, though?
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Well, no, it might have looked like Wronggervy when it was written down, it didn't necessarily sound like it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X