more elusive ancestors and the census they're not on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more elusive ancestors and the census they're not on

hey guys, you seem to have all the resources!!!

looking for a peter ford and elizabeth ambler. they're my 3rd great grandparents.

both born in 1835, him in gloucester, her in leeds, according to the census.
    i found them in 1871 onwards living in chapel allerton, leeds. now it gets tricky!!

half the kids, the older ones, were born in kent, around the 1860's. but the family's not on the census. the others were born in leeds, in the early and late 1870's.

elizabeth died in the 1890's and peter died in 1905.
    i havn't got the birth for my 2nd great grandmother, edith maud ford, so im not sure that ambler is elizabeths surname. i just found a peter maried to an elizabeth on freebmd just before the eldest child was born.

but, back on topic. the family is missing before 1871... on all censuses. i can't find the parents married or single. but, he was born in gloucester, they married in leeds, moved to kent and then back to leeds all in 10 years. that's the lot of moving for that period, especially since he was a gardener.

i've tried looking them up in familysearch and havn't been successful. any ideas?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 18-08-08, 12:26.

I wouldn't worry too much about the travel......he could have looked after the grounds of some toffs house...and moved with them.

But..............where have you got the info about your gg grandmother?? There could be quite a few others who are not yet on FreeBMD.

Can you give us the details of the 1871 and I'll have a look around.

Comment

What year was Edith born???

Comment

The fact that they lived in Woolwich for several years suggests that he might have been a soldier.

They should have been there in 1861, but I can't see any sign of them. I suppose he might have been serving abroad.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-08-08, 13:11.

Comment

Found them in 1871 and 1881. Haven't looked anywhere else yet.

That Edith is born 1872. What have you got that makes this Edith the one you want? Just don't want to make the mistake I made ages ago and traced the wrong person back for ages before I realized...

Comment

Could this be them 1861 on the 1871 census they have a child called William T which would fit one of the intials shown. The place of birth of E Ford is Leeds so I think it is them What do you think?
            P Ford is shown as a gunner Artillery which is not surpising as they are at Sheerness barracks
            Class RG9, Piece 531, Folio 187, Page 25
            E Ford 26
            M A Ford 8 Mo
            P Ford 26
            W T Ford 2
            Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 18-08-08, 13:13.
            GWEN

Comment

Looks like them, Gwen.

Comment

now for 1841 & 1851 is Edith Maud Ford Peter's Mum? and do we know the year she was born and his father's name?
                GWEN

Comment

Ah, well done, Gwen.

Comment

Edith Maud Ford is Peter's daughter born about 1872 (taken from the 1881).

Not sure of his mother.

Comment

I can't see them in 1891 either. There are a couple of likely hits for Edith as a servant.

Comment

without knowing Peters parents names we cannot find him any earlier!!!
                        GWEN

Comment

This is them in 1891
                          Class RG12, Piece 3713, Folio 7, Page 8
                          Elizabeth Ford 56
                          Frank Ford 17
                          Lilliam Ford 14
                          Peter Ford 36
                          Peter J Ford 28
                          just looked at the original image because of the ages of the two peters and Peter snr age should be 56
                          Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 18-08-08, 13:32.
                          GWEN

Comment

I just hope we are sure of the right Edith Maud Ford to start with. There are a few. Maybe Kylejustin has her marriage cert with Peter for a father.

Comment

I agree this is the most likely one for Edith

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              I can't see them in 1891 either. There are a couple of likely hits for Edith as a servant.
                              GWEN

Comment

yes i'm sure it's her. i have the headstone of her and my great grandma phyllis. edith married david crosfield in 1892, leeds.

the reason i know this, is because phyllis was born in 1896, and died in 1931, giving birth to my pop. my great grandpa john henry morton, had to get a good job, and so edith ended up raising my pop and his older sister until she died in 1943. so, my aunt has stories edith told her, and i know that's not concrete, but it seems to be true.

i have edith in 1891, i think, in clophill, ampthill age 19, b.leeds.
                                could someone check this out? my aunt said edith was a kitchen maid before she met david.

here's the info on the family i have, from freebmd:

edith maud -b.1871, leeds
                                alfred -b.1869, kirkstall
                                arthur poole -b.1867, kirkstall
                                frank-b.1874, leeds
                                harriet ann-b.1861, greenwich
                                lillian-b.1876, leeds
                                peter john- b.1862, greenwich
                                and william thomas-b.1858, greenwich

peter ford married elizabeth ambler, mar 1858, leeds

there is only one peter ford born around 1835 on familysearch, he was born in 1833, christened in 1834, uley, gloucester

by the way, kirkstall has chapel allerton in its district, and greenwich spans woolwich, kent.

ok, going to look at the 1861 index, i dont have access to the actual pages-yet.

Comment

it does look like them!! could m.a.ford be mistranscribed?

only william thomas and harriet anne would have been alive at this point.

the only way i can think to get concrete evidence for most of my work, is the certificates, but the problem is im working all fronts at once!!! which family do i work on getting certs and census pages? so frustrated right now!!!

Comment

There are 21 Edith Fords born 1871 and 1872. Thanks heavens there was only one Edith Maud born Leeds......Q2 1871 Vol 9b Page 557.

Now.....what exactly am I looking for again????? ***senior moment***

Comment

OK can someone try for the marriage please.
                                      I've found David Crosfield Q4 1892 Taunton 5c 591 but no Edith Ford.

***senior life now***

Comment

Problem!!!!

David married Flora Ellen Verrier. Where does she fit in??

Comment

Working...
                                        X