Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Ceylon (Sri Lanka)

thank you
    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 24-02-09, 13:17.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

What about FMP?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think ancestry has any Sri Lanka stuff, Rachel. I would have thought it would be more likely to be on FamilySearch, or on the "overseas" section on Findmypast if it involved a British citizen.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

What about familyrelatives? If the couple are still alive you could pm me.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If I find the name anytime, I'll try to remember who it was that was interested, and let you know!

Nothing in the Times archive is there - a wedding announcement, perhaps?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

found him on the shipping list Rachel did you have that already ???????????????

Comment

your inbox is full!!! have sent the image to your yahoo

Comment

oh hang on

Comment

on its way again

Comment

Found this on Docs Online:

Name Roe, Charles Edward Meredith
                    Date of Birth: 11 August 1875
                    18 November 1897 ADM 196/130
                    Christine

Comment

Marriages: Portsmouth 1905 q2 2b-1065
                      Charles Edward M Roe

other names:
                      Marie Mildred E Leacock
                      Charlotte Emily Rodd
                      Henry Walter Holloway

Christine

Comment

And I guess you've already got:

Patrick Wilmot B M Roe
                        b 1906 q1
                        Portsmouth 2b-469

Comment

Yes - I thought Marie Mildred E looked the more likely.

Christine

Comment

Incidentally - I'd have thought that those clothes looked a bit warm for Ceylon. But I've never been there, and it's possible that there's a cold season.

Christine

Comment

I suppose they could have married at sea? Trouble is, FMP's M at sea only goes up to 1883.

Christine

Comment

Rachel - I had a good look on familyrelatives and found nothing. Got distracted by looking at holidays.

For what it's worth I think the clothes in the picture are OK for Ceylon in the immediate post-war era.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

HI Rachel

I take it then that you have seen this too

ROE Valcourt Desmond Meredith

Pilot Officer 42530 73 Sqdn., Royal Air Force who died on Tuesday, 14th May 1940. Age 28. Son of Capt. Charles Edward Meredith Roe and Marie Eveleen Roe, of Talawakele, Ceylon. Buried in CHOLOY WAR CEMETERY, Meurthe-et-Moselle, France. Grave 2. J. 8. Also on Village Hall Memorial and Village Memorial

this message can be deleated if it is too 'close to home' so to speak
                                  WendyP

Comment

That clothes in The Colonies bit... I think you're probably right. I know that, when we had speakers from Uganda, talking about dress protocol there, they said that people still put babies in cardigans - because That's What One Does - and, similarly, they expect to aim for full European formal dress for weddings (or they did some years ago) to the point that the local Mothers Union had a sort of wedding clothes library which they could lend out to people!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand
                                      I wonder if anybody fancies looking for Colonel Sir John Channing-Pearce (don't know how to spell his surname)

In the early 1940s, gt aunt Sallie was staying in London.

My father was a newly enlisted Private soldier and went to tea with her at her hotel .... probably the Dorchester, although I do know she also stayed at the Cumberland at some point.

It's just possible that she was travelling with Channing-Pearce (always referred to as Jack or Uncle Jack).
                                      I googled the name (without quotes) and found this page:
                                      JULY 2001 newsletter - Durban - South African Military History Society - Title page
                                      FUTURE SOCIETY DATES : August to October 2001
                                      13 Sept 2001
                                      DDH In Burma. On the Run Lt.Colonel Channing Pearce
                                      MAIN The Indian Mutiny Ganes Pillay
                                      By the September newsleter, the trailer was:
                                      A first for the Society and one not to be missed.

The DDH will be another of our very special "we were there" talks, the second one this year. Lt. COLONEL CLEM CHANING-PEARCE, now 85 years old, served in Burma as a Gunner in the 2nd World War. His subject shows a slight change from the original program and will now be entitled ON THE CHINWIN RIVER, BURMA. It will be an honour to listen to an "old" soldier and his experiences in this most difficult of campaigns.
                                      Sadly the October newsletter:
                                      The DDH provided a change in our advertised program. The meeting was told that Lt. Colonel Clem Chaning-Pearce had been taken ill just prior to our meeting and would be unable to give his talk on his personal experiences in Burma in 1944. He has agreed to give his talk to a future meeting.
                                      and November:
                                      Our Vice-Chairman Bill Brady chaired the October meeting, and he was faced with a change from our advertised program. Unfortunately Lt. Colonel Clem Chaning-Pearce was unable to be with us for the second month running, as he had been admitted to hospital. We wish him a speedy recovery and trust that the next time we arrange for him to give his talk on his personal experiences in Burma in 1944, will be third time lucky.
                                      Haven't spotted any more on this.

Christine

Comment

Morning, Rachel

Sorry, I didn't see your post before - I was collating the info for the one above.

It does, indeed, look interesting.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X