1881 cannot find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 cannot find

Hope this thread does not appear twice-I pressed "submit" and my internet went off don't know where it is!

Louisa Ann Slimond b.1873 and Sarah Jane Slimond b.1877 Liverpool,parents John and Elizabeth should be easy to find on the 1881 census,but I have been unsuccessful.
    Any suggestions please?
    Fran
    P.S.I don't think they moved away

Have you tried likely mistranscriptions? I can think of lots of really unhelpful, but very easy, errors which could have crept in... Missing the L is the most obvious - and would scupper any attempt to use a wildcard on Ancestry.

Perhaps using just first name(s) and ages might work - maybe with PoB?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have tried using just the Christian names of the children just so I wouldn't have to cope with the surname mistranscriptions which could be many!No luck though.
      Fran

Comment

Fran, do you have any details of when and where John and Elizabeth were born?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
          I have tried using just the Christian names of the children just so I wouldn't have to cope with the surname mistranscriptions which could be many!No luck though.
          Fran
          That's what I just tried too ... no luck

Do you have the parents on any other censuses ?
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

John and Elizabeth(Prytheron) were married in Liverpool in 1869.I do not know where they were born.I am trying to give a bit of help to a friend who is just starting out on the family history trail,or should it be trial!
            I do not have the parents on any other census because I do not have access to Ancestry at present

Comment

May be this is Sarah's death so she will not be on the 1881 census

Sarah Jane Slimond
              Estimated Birth Year, abt 1877
              Year of Registration, 1878
              Quarter of Registration, Oct-Nov-Dec
              Age at Death, 1
              District, West Derby
              County, Lancashire
              Volume, 8b
              Page, 301
              GWEN

Comment

Is Louisa an orphan on the 1891 census? Transcribed as Louisa Slyman on ancestry?
                KiteRunner

Comment

This could be Louisa marriage but not found her on the 1891 census yet, this marriage would make her 23 and the only other on the page is George Joseph Crosby

Louisa Slimond
                  Year of Registration, 1896
                  Quarter of Registration, Oct-Nov-Dec
                  District, Liverpool (1837-1934)
                  County, Lancashire
                  Volume, 8b
                  Page,157
                  Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 17-08-08, 18:32.
                  GWEN

Comment

I saw that and looked at the original entry and it does not look like it has been mistranscribed.

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    Is Louisa an orphan on the 1891 census? Transcribed as Louisa Slyman on ancestry?
                    GWEN

Comment

Then there is a John Slimond death 1889 age 39, so if that's him he should be about 31 in 1881.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for replying everyone.
                        Louisa did marry in 1896 to George Crosby.That must be her sister who died in 1878.
                        Fran

Comment

I haven't had any luck with them in 1881 yet, but presumably John and Elizabeth's marriage is John Slimond / Elizabeth Prytherch (Prytheron on FreeBMD) in Jun 1869 Liverpool (St Titus). So they should be together in 1871.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

That's them KiteRunner.Another name that transcribers can muddle up.
                            Fran

Comment

And have you found them in 1871, Fran?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I haven't found them anywhere.I have put the name into Ancestry,but I can't search properly as I do not have any credits at the moment.It's very good of you to look.
                                Fran

Comment

Have you got any certificates for the family at all, Fran?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

This is my friend's family.She only started last week and I have helped her to draw up a list of those certs she can send for right away.I just thought that these people would be easy to find and would show the birthplace of the parents and their occupations.
                                    Fran

Comment

Just belt and braces, but are we sure that these people are her family? Have you gone back one generation at a time so you are sure of the parents' names each time? It could put her off if she got one or more "wrong" certs. at her first go.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There are some Slimonds in Liverpool on some of the censuses who originate from Scotland - Alexander and Ann, and their children in 1861 include a John Parker Slimond age 14. In 1851 they are in Mauchline, Ayrshire. Not sure if this is the right John or not, though!
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X