X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place of death

I was just curious. The death certificate (1979) gives place of death as

"Horley. On the way to Redhill General Hospital"

I presume the deceased was deemed to be dead on arrival at the hospital - but if the hospital diagnosed the death, how would they know that the death hadn't occurred before the journey started?

If the deceased was in an ambulance, are ambulance crew allowed to determine a death?
    Joan died in July 2020.

If a doctor had called the ambulance, he would know if his patient was alive before the journey ...?
    Bridget

Comment

Oh yes, Bridget - thanks - I hadn't thought of that :o

So if he was certified dead on arrival at the hospital, then it would be the obvious assumption that he died on route

Thank you
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Only a doctor can certify that death has occurred.

Ambulance crews are not allowed to assume death and must continue resuscitationuntil a qualified medical practitioner declares death.

If the circumstances are such that even a layman could assume death (decapitation, etc) then an ambulance will not be called as ambulances cannot carry the dead! (They cannot start a journey with a dead person on board, that is).

In this case, he probably took advice from the ambulance crew, who confirmed that the deceased was alive when they started the journey.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - that makes sense (this is HW Wicks and I think I am now probably just overly suspicious about anything to do with him!)
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X