Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I presume this is a mistake (?)

The bride's residence at time of marriage is given as her father's name-

This is probably a really silly question, but this surely must be an error (the copy certificate is handwritten by the current registrar)

There couldn't be any reason why the certificate was actually written like this, could there?

Thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 17-08-08, 15:38.
    Joan died in July 2020.

I doubt it. Very unusual though. Perhaps the address was also the same as her father's.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell - It seemed very odd - and I wouldn't know what the father's address was, so it's very confusing!
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

If you've paid for a new copy of the cert, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to query that entry!

Nell's point is valid, though, I guess.
        Q: "Where do you live?"
        A: "At my Dad's"

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-08-08, 15:40.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine - I will query it
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The handwriting is very modern and I guess this is is a simple copying error by the registrar's clerk!

I don't think it has any significance and I have never seen this on any other cert.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - will write to the register office & query it
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

While writing to the Registrars Office you could mention that you would really like a photocopy of the original entry as you would like to see their actual signatures.
                :D Carolyn

Comment

Hi Joan,

I ended up with a handwritten cert and they mixed up the surname with the address so my nan became Elsie Oldfield and lived at Moore St lol..Its a good job I knew her name and address or I would be chasing the wrong line!

I rang them and they said the original was too fragile to scan so they couldnt scan it. They sent me a new cert and told me to frame the 1st one

]

Comment

I have a modern, handwritten GRO copy of a marriage, where the bride and groom got each other's fathers, AND each other's ages!

Good job I also had a photocopy from the local RO.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                      Thanks OC - will write to the register office & query it
                      Can't you ring them? - just thinking it might be quicker given that I now have to have my daily installment - its better than Eastenders!;)
                      Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I rang them Joan and they just posted out another cert the same day..It will save time..

OC I dont wonder people research the wrong families. If I hadnt already known the details I would now have an Oldfield tree lol..but then I wouldnt have had all my lovely Irish rellis

]

Comment

Working...
                        X