places of birth and baptisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• places of birth and baptisms

Hello, for anyone who doesn't know I am a newbie to this! Therefore I might seem a bit dim at times! Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to find out where someone was actually born (which hospital/at home etc) and how to find out whether they were baptised and where?
    Thanks
    Tessie

Tessie - to answer that we need to know a timeframe and location. If it was the early 1800s you'd look in one place, but if it was the 1940s you'd look somewhere else. Information also varies according to what country we're talking about.
    So, provided the person isn't still alive, tell us what you know.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John, I would like to find if the family I have traced so far were baptised and where. Half the family were born after 1940's the other before. I haven't managed to go any further back than 1 grandad on one side as I am pretty much stuck until I get birth certs etc. As they cost I can only do a couple a month. I am waiting at the mo for grandads birth cert (if i get it) so I can go further back on that side!
      Is there a website where I can find out about baptisms?
      Thanks

Comment

tessie

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records is the website most of us use for baptisms. However, it has hardly any coverage for the 20th century.

Not every one was baptised (I wasn't). When you get the birth cert, it will tell you where he was born and you can then work out what churches were in the area where they lived. You will have to contact each church.

It may be a long old haul though, unless you have some idea where, and what religious denomination they were.

Good luck!

OC

Comment

1901 and further back you can find people on the census where they give their place of birth (though this isn't always correct). This makes looking for baptisms easier. If they aren't on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records then you need to get the parish registers - either by going to the relevant county records office or by ordering film of the registers at your nearest LDS centre.

Births from 1 July 1837 onwards are in the GRO birth indexes.

You can find more information about baptisms and birth registrations in our Wiki - click on the relevant button on the top of this page.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks people!! Do i need to make appointments to go to the county records office? What is a LDS centre?

Comment

LDS family history centres belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, known to most of us as the Mormons. Familysearch is their wbsite.

They have filmed literally millions of church registers from all over the world. Some of them are online at the above website (select IGI when you get there). However, many more have not been transcribed on line so you can visit the centre and for a small fee order the film and view it.

This is a lot cheaper than travelling to the Records Office in my case.

County Records Offices almost always have a website - look on there to see if you need to book etc.

OC

Comment

County Records offices vary greatly in size. Some are tiny and you need to book a microfilm reader in advance. Others you can just turn up. But do check as many aren't open on Saturdays or only open till 12.00.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Unless you live locally to where a family was in the past, certificates usually work out cheaper in the long run. As OC says, not everyone was baptised. A birth certificate will does not show religion. Some denominations do not believe in infant baptism, so you might look for a very long time and never find anything. Other people may be baptised where you would not expect: my father's family were Congregationalists, but the CofE offered a better service. My mother was taken half across the county, to be baptised in her grandparents' parish.
                    Where I live, there have been over 100 places of worship over the last 150 years. Some will have merged with other churches. Some will have deposited their records, others lost them and yet others still keep them in the church.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

and then there are some who register only a christening, or baptise all of their children at once. one family of mine had 5 kids, the eldest was 7 when she was baptised, the others ranged 5- a few months old!!

Comment

oh my gosh!! Maybe I will wait before I try that line then!! I have a LDS centre about 10 miles from me. I am going to email them and see what they say! Have tried the website but to no avail!!

Comment

Also, to know which parishes/records/years have been microfilmed by the LDS and are covered on IGI, check out the Hugh Wallis site. From here you will also be able to bring up people with the same surnames in one parish and identify siblings more easily.

Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

Watch out for member submitted records, less reliable than extracted records.
                          CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Taffy

Small correction - to check out which parishes the LDS have filmed, go to their website (Library tab).

Hugh Wallis hasn't been updated for years, the IGI is added to almost daily!

OC

Comment

Hi OC

What I meant was the IGI records on Family Search - but didn't make myself clear.
                              Portishead for example can be found in the Library Catalogue via the tab you mentioned but the records are not on IGI on Family Search. Any idea if an updated list of parishes on Family Search exists anywhere?

Comment

Sorry, Taffy, misunderstood you!

The only place I know of a current uptodate list, is, erm, on the IGI! But not in list form.

What I usually do is check to see if the LDS have filmed the records, then check to see if they have been transcribed, either by tracking through the film notes and trying to find a batch number (not always quoted!), or "testing" the IGI by searching for a common name in the area and seeing what records come up.

Hugh Wallis IS a very useful shortcut to this, but it isn't fail safe as many records have been transcribed AFTER Hugh Wallis compiled his list of parishes.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

A new project for someone perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                  X