Date for this one please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for this one please

Would welcome your opinions on this one please.

1890,s brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you Brenda. Do you think it could be late 1890's or even 1900 as that is what I'm hoping for.

Jane

Comment

Jane

It could be any time up to 1914, I reckon. Depends how fashion conscious the family was.

She is a very young teenager, if that's any help, as her back hair is down. Young women were expected to put their back hair up after the age of about 14, or when they started work.

OC

Comment

Many thanks OC.

I believe the girl to be my grandmother who was born in 1886. Her mother died in 1902 having had TB for some time and being the oldest child she had to look after her brothers and sisters, although the oldest brother was in service as a page at the age of 13 in 1901. I doubt the family were very fashion conscious, poor farm labourers in Suffolk. I am trying to work out if the photo was taken before or after her mother's death. I think she only looks about 13/14.

Jane

Comment

I agree, she certainly doesn't look more than 16.

What sad eyes she has though...perhaps this was taken round about the time her mother died?

OC

Comment

Thank you OC - you have agreed with my thoughts exactly. By the way, her mother is the lady in my avatar.

Jane

Comment

i have a picture of my nannie and she has ribbon in her hair and dad was born 1914 brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                X