How do I find ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find ?????

Hello, I have found that I was baptised at St. Luke's Brighton in the 1940's I think that is a C of E, and then Re -Named or what ever it is called , in Marlborough Road Methodist Church in St Albans, at a date I don't know. The only "Family" that could help are now dead. I now find that I need both certificates, and any one please help. I have tried but my emails were unanswered, :o
    Thanks
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

I used the Chichester Diocese website, and that gives:

BRIGHTON THE RESURRECTION St Luke

TV (Church): The Revd Christopher J Woodman BTh
    St Lukes Vicarage Queens Park Terrace Brighton East Sussex BN2 9YA: 01273 688147
    If you contact the vicar, he should be able to tell you how you can obtain a copy baptism certificate. If the relevant register isn't yet full, it will be at the church, otherwise it may be at the Sussex Records Office - but he should be able to tell you. They may have a Parish Office with a Secretary/Administrator, but, if so, it isn't mentioned in the Diocesan info set.

Christine

PS - just registered (engage brain, Christine!) it's hardly a local phonecall for you, is it! WIll think again.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-08-08, 08:23.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is the website for the St Alban's church:

Marlborough Road Methodist Church

Christine
      addendum about distance as above :o
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Brighton, St Luke, Queens Park Church - East Sussex | Diocese of Chichester

gives Rev. Woodman's contact details and a link to send an e-mail. But it might not work, I tried e-mailing a vicar recently and the postmaster sent it back.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've sent you a PM.

Christine

Comment

Thank you very much Christine I have sent you a pm

Sheila

Comment

The minister of Marlborough Rd Methodist Church, St Alban's, is Rev Dave Dickinson, according to the site. When I rang just now, the phone went to voicemail. I thought it would be a too complicated a message to leave on voicemail, so I'll try again later. Of course, they may be away on holiday.

The e-address he gives there is: 2dandy[at]beeb.net.
              Understandably, he prefers not to use the @ symbol on the site because of the risk of spamming if he puts a complete address there.

There's a faint possibility I could visit the church, if that proves to be relevant, at the end of the month. Our church choir is singing services at the Abbey-Cathedral on Saturday and Sunday. I say "faint" because we spend a lot of the time either singing the services or preparing to sing them; on the other hand, I do get breaks when I can get away - but they may not coincide with times when the people at the Methodist Church could be around to speak to me. At least it isn't a huge distance from the Abbey.

Christine

Comment

Christine. Thank you for your help. I hope that it is not to much trouble. I have read your pm's I guess that I sent my email to the wrong address . With the time differance it makes live a tad hard. The Abbey is a hike to Malborough Road,as I remember. So please take care. I'll not do anything in case we cross, and both ministers may go into a spin, of couse I'll pay any costs.
                Sheila

Comment

I haven't tried phoning back yet. If you wanted to email the Minister at St Alban's yourself, that wouldn't be a problem. It might even be an opportunity to smooth the way for me to help out - especially if you copy me in, so I can take a copy with me? I'm PM you my email address.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X