Spare pair of eyes please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare pair of eyes please

I have found who I think/hope is my greatgrandfather but I am unable to read his occupation.

His father was a "Mariner" in the 1841 and 1851 census and I think I have found him on the 1861 where his occupation is "Rigger". This 1861 occupation makes sense as they lived in Liverpool and a Rigger is still a water occupaton.

I need a second pair of eyes to have a look at the occupation of John. It looks like "Seaman" as the S looks the same as his brother William who is a Scholar. BUT further up on the page is someone who is a Seaman and the S looks totally different.

The details are....John Roberts, 1861 census

RG9
    Piece 2668
    Folio 31
    Page 7

He is 4th from the bottom.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kathlyn

I think it's seaman, although I agree with you that it is different to the other seamans.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It looks like 'Seman' to me .... the S is the same as the S in scholar beneath
      Bridget

Comment

Thanks Bridget and Wendy, it is much appreciated.

Kathlyn

Comment

Kathlyn... where is he in Liverpool in the census returns?...I live in Liverpool,on the very last dock in south liverpool, might be able to help with any local knowledge to make your research easier...if you think I might be able to help you just PM me...regards...allan;)
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

do you know where john and William where born

Comment

Working...
            X