Help with finding Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with finding Parents

I have Richard Hazell Bap Feb 18th 1821 in Greenham,Berkshire (obtain from Berkshire RO) parents down as William and Harriet from Greenham Common, William is a labourer, have been looking most of the afternoon for a birth/bap or marriage for William and/or Harriet and could do with a fresh pair of eyes.

Thanks
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

IGI have a marriage between William Hazell and Harriet Whale 2nd January 1803 Thatcham, Berks., could that be yours.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Several baptisms on IGI for William Hazell

Harriot Wail on20 August 1785 at Thatcham, Berks

Parents Richard an Sarah
      Last edited by WendyPusey; 16-08-08, 16:10.
      Wendy

Comment

Saw that one Wendy, but their first child was born was bap in 1818 and thought that was a big gap, or unless they had more children which I haven't come across yet

So far I have

John 1818
        Richard 1821
        James 1823 and
        Henry 1825
        Last edited by Chrissy Confused; 16-08-08, 16:11. Reason: To add info

Comment

There are children all with William and harriet as parents on IGI.

Caroline 1806 Greenham
          William 1809 Greenham
          Eliza 1811 Greenham
          Wendy

Comment

That would mean they were having children over 20 years!!!! is that possible??

And why would there be a gap of 7 years with no children, was there a war or something going on then?, my history is not very good:o

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Confused View Post
              That would mean they were having children over 20 years!!!! is that possible??

And why would there be a gap of 7 years with no children, was there a war or something going on then?, my history is not very good:o
              Having children over 20 years - not just possible but very common in those days. Gap of 7 years with no children - not so common, but it could be that there were some whose baptisms aren't online yet or a series of miscarriages / stillbirths.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks kate for the explaination

Comment

Chrissy

I have several examples of women who had babies every 2 years or so from the age of 18 to about 43. Often the eldest children had children of their own whilst their Mum was producing younger siblings. With no access to birth control it was the norm.

My gt x 2 grandmother Ann was born 1824 and her eldest sibling in 1802.
                  My gt x 3 grandparents had 7 children between 1811 and 1828. One of their daughters had her first child in 1836 and her 13th and final in 1860.
                  Again, another set of gt x 3 grandparents had children spaced from 1799-1821.

As for gaps - could be a series of miscarriages, stillbirths, or babies that died in infancy - you'd need to check burial registers. Or maybe Dad was working away, or in prison, or in the army, or either parent incapacitated through illness.
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 16-08-08, 16:59.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell

Nice to see you back

Comment

You're welcome. And its nice to be back!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A quick check shows that the IGI have only transcribed Greenham baptisms up to 1812, so you need to see the PR to pick up any children born after that.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, but I'll think I will call it quits for tonight, thank you for the tip

Comment

my 5th great grandparents had their eldest son in 1801, and the next child wasn't born until 1820, and their last was born in 1824!!! so it's not that unusual. and i know it's the right family, because this family lived in that street for 50 years!

Comment

Working...
                            X