Newbie needing help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing help!!

Hi! I am new to researching family trees. I am also new to forums so please bear with me! I am tracing my fiances family. We have some information and I have applied for his grandads birth cert. I have some questions that someone I hope can help me with or point me in the right direction!
    My fiances grandad got re-married but I can't find the marriage! My fiance was about 11, which would mean they got married around 1990. However, I cannot find anything on their marriage. I don't understand why I can't find it? I have looked from 1985 to 1995 to be sure of the date. We know they got married in Peterborough. Can anyone help?
    My second question is my father in law had three siblings. Two of whom died while he was young. We have quite a bit of info on one and know where she is buried. His brother died at about 10 days old and it was never talked about. His name is on the same headstone as his sister but we do not know whether he was buried or cremated. He was however born before his sister, would that mean his ashes were probably scattered on her grave at some point?
    My last question is that his other sister, whom he has had no contact with since the death of their mother seems to have no birth record. Again I have looked over a ten year period to no avail. While the children were young their father was in the Army and spent time in Germany and Aden. If she was born in either of these countries would that mean she isn't on any records for England?
    Sorry that I have lots of questions and have gone on, but I don't know what else to try!
    Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Tessie and welcome to FTF. It's OK to give names and dates for people who are now dead, but not for living people, so you're OK on that!

There are records of overseas and Forces births etc. on sites such as familyrelatives.com.

Hopefully somone else will be along soon who's more expert than me with living people. In the meantime, if you want to post details of any of those who are now dead, perhaps somneone will find them for you.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Welcome FTF

Can you post some details of the deceased peeps names so we can do a search for you?
      GWEN

Comment

Marriage for grandad- Alfred Edward Hatch b. 17/01/1927 Edith Ellen Hatch nee. goodchild b. 25/02/1931 (think her previous married name was brown?)
        Siblings burial/cremation Paul Rueben Hatch b. 1st quarter 1951 d. 2nd quarter 1951
        Thanks

Comment

I have to go out but had a quick look for Paul 1st Q is that the one with MMN Byrne Middx. I thought the district was Peterbourgh?
          GWEN

Comment

Hallo Tessie and welcome!

Peterborough City Council - The Register Office is a link to Peterborough Register Office, who may be able to find the marriage.

As for the burial/cremation - sometimes headstones were put up on graves much later than the burial. My grandmother put up a headstone for her son's grave about 40 years after he died - she didn't have the money till then. My ex and his brother only organised their parents' headstone about 3 years after they were buried.

Gravestones don't always mean the person was buried there, often other family members are recorded on the same stone even if buried/cremated elsewhere.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I take it this is grandad's death:

Alfred Edward Hatch
              Birth Date: 17 Jan 1927 Age at death (estimated): 65
              Death Registration Month/Year: Nov 1992
              Registration district: Peterborough
              Volume: 9 Page: 1264

so the marriage would be before that.

Comment

Hi Gwen, grandads marriage was peterborough. Do I need to try Middlesex reg office for his death? How can I try to find where/when he was buried/cremated?
                Little Nell, I was stupid looking after 1992! They were married not long before he died. So its definately around 1990, I will try Peterborough Reg Office, but will they tell me if they have it or will I need to try and get a cert.? If so then I am not 100% that her previous maiden name was Brown.

Comment

Tessie - he died in peterborough - so its either Peterbough or the GRO for his death cert.

I cannot see the marriage either
                  Jess

Comment

Jessbowbag, I was meaning the death for paul, sorry! I am not awake yet! If I ring Peterborough for the Marriage would they be able to tell me if they have that record and then I can apply for marriage cert. or do I just try for marriage cert?

Comment

I would ask them if they have the marriage record. You can apply for it then.

But if they can't find it, maybe grandfather didn't actually marry this lady.

Comment

That is something to consider although my fiance and his family remember going to the register office. Grandad used to be in army and was divorced and didn't see his children for many years. Is it possible they married abroad and then that it was just a blessing which happened after contact was re-established?

Comment

Tessie

You don't have blessings in a register office. If they went to the register office it would be a civl wedding and the register office should have the details.

Comment

i have e-mailed wellingborough register office as that rings a bell with my fiance. If no luck then i will try peterborough.
                            I still cannot find father in laws sister birth record(surviving sibling). I have looked on site that uncle john suggested and can't find anything. Is it possible that she might be adopted? As I have no birth record is it possible to find marriage records?

Comment

Maybe sister was registered as Female + surname?

Comment

how do you mean?

Comment

Sometimes an infant's birth was registered before a name was chosen for him/her. The registration would be for 'female' SURNAME...I have one in my family registered this way.
                                  I knew who it was, because the parents' names and the dates agreed.

Beverley

Comment

hi and welcome to ftf brenda xxx

Comment

Hi, good news! I was given wrong info on Alfred's (grandads) 2nd marriage. I have now got it! Yipee!!!!! Thanks for looking for me! I have not however got the sisters birth still! Aaarrrgggghhh! I can only hope that one day contact will come and I can find out when/where she was born! Its def. around 1950 but I can't find it anywhere. I now need to move on, but where to start? I am awaiting grandads (alfred) birth cert. hopefully!

Comment

Good. Always a good idea to check again. People's memories can be faulty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X