• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with hannah please

hi,

can anyone help me with hannah please?

name: hannah ethel lackey
    born: j-f-m 1897 chester-le-street, vol 10a page 528
    parents: thomas jackson lackey and edith mary wragge * MISTAKE - her mother was ELEANOR BLACKLOCK

she is on the 1901 census - - Ancestry.co.uk

after this i cant find her, i have searched until she was 40 for a wedding with no luck, and i have got as far as 1917 on deaths with no luck. i'm using ancestry full, so she may be on another site if any records are missing from ancestry.

any help greatful.
    Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 15-08-08, 20:18.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

If she was born 1897, she may not have died until the 1990s, though it's more likely she died before then. Have you tried the 1984-onwards deaths on Ancestry just in case she lived to a great age?

EDIT: just had a look at 1984 - deaths, nothing obvious, though it cold give you some possible married surnames.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 15-08-08, 19:52.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

no i havent. i thought i'd search for a marriage 1st, but i got to age 40 and didnt think it likely. all bar 1 of her 5 siblings all died b4 age 10.

i do know none of the living relatives knew her and 1 aunt was born 1920, they would have been 1st cousins.

Comment

There is a marriage 1st Q 1919
        Lackey Hannah S
        Frost Joseph Ref. Lambeth 1d 579

Perhaps the S is mistranscribed?
        Last edited by BridgetM; 15-08-08, 19:51.
        Bridget

Comment

i did see that marriage but ruled it out as 1. the letter was wrong and 2 it was in lambeth. probably not very good reasons i know.

at the moment i'm not in a situation where i can afford to buy "wrong" certs.

if i was 2 ring the GRO or local reg office and asked them if the father was......... would they be likely to give me a yes/no answer? peterborough office will do this as long as you dont ask can you tell me the fathers name etc.

Comment

It's worth trying. And I would do it because my sister-in-law's marriage is in index as Searce when her maiden name was Pearce (marriage 1991). My grandmother Gladys Smoothy is down on local online index as Kgladys, so these things do happen.
            I suppose you've tried looking for the alternative Hannah S. on censuses/birth indexes to see if there was another one.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just found this in the death index:

Hannah S Frost
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
              Year of Registration: 1921
              Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
              Age at Death: 32
              District: Lambeth
              County: Greater London, London, Surrey
              Volume: 1d
              Page: 333

Still middle name S. still in Lambeth and born quite a bit before Hannah Ethel, so I'd rule out the marriage.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks nell. i was just about to embark on a search for Frost children with mmn lackey.

Comment

I've just had a look at the (FreeBMD) marriages on Ancestry...

1893 Q2 Chester Le Street 10a-679
                  Thomas Jackson LACKEY
                  Eleanor BLACKLOCK <<<<< (see below)
                  Mary Ann HUTCHINSON
                  James Richard HUTCHINSON

1903 Q2 Chester Le Street 10a-969
                  Thomas Jackson LACKEY
                  Elizabeth Ann MASON
                  Edith Mary WRAGGE <<<<<
                  Thomas JONES

That would suggest that Edith Mary Wragge wasn't Hannah's mother?

(I have just used the Durham Local RO website http://www.durham.gov.uk/DurhamCC/us...n+certificates - and that matches Thomas and Eleanor in 1893, as expected; likewise Thomas and Edith in 1903).

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-08-08, 20:24.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's this (FreeBMD) death record:

Eleanor LACKEY age 32
                    1899 Q4 Chester Le Street 10a-322

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-08-08, 20:19.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

my mistake sorry - she was the "step mother". eleanor blacklock was her mother. i've been seaching for edith's kids today.

that death was for thomas's first wife and hannah mothers. it is rumoured in the family she died either during or just after child birth with baby eleanor. (the death and birth certs are on the order list).
                      Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 15-08-08, 20:20.

Comment

The Durham site reckons they've indexed all the marriages - apart from ones where the registers are still held by the individual churches (because they are not yet full). If you know which church Thomas got married in, you might ask the incumbent what date-range is covered by the registers they still hold, so that you'll have some idea whether there's likely to be one for you hidden away there.

Christine

Comment

all i know is it was chester-le-street, not got cert yet but that should tell me the church name. its strange cos most of this line married in the church in west rainton.

Comment

Working...
                          X