Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any hope of finding George and Ernest's mum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hope of finding George and Ernest's mum?

Thomas Wilson was born in Jedburgh, Scotland in 1856. He's on the censuses in Scotland in 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901.
    In 1891 he's a widower, living at his father Georges' house, with his two sons George b. 1881 and Ernest b. ca.1884 both born in America.
    In 1901 George is in Benwell, Newcastle and born in New York, whereas Ernest is still with his dad in Selkirk and was born in what appears to be 'West America' (there's a pen stroke through the 'West')
    I'm trying to find the mother of these children. I don't know whether she was Scottish or from the US. I've had a look at U.S.immigration for Thomas (Ellis Island site) but that doesn't seem to go as early as 1880ish.

Any suggestions?

JANE

I don't have Scottish ancestors myself, but if either of the sons married in Scotland, wouldn't their marriage certificates at least give a name for the mother?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

ooh yes, Forgot that - I'm new to the scottish side of things too.
      George stayed in England but off to check Ernest now - Thanks Phoenix

Comment

Thomas's birth was registered in 1857:

Thomas Robert Wilson, Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, 7902/00 0101.

The register entry should give you his parents' names, the date of marriage and his date and place of birth.

I used my last credit to find it! It will cost you the princely sum of £1.20 to view and download the register entry image.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Blast ......19 Ernest Wilsons married 1901 to 1932 in Scotland but none in a "suitable" place. Without knowing who he married and indeed if he married this could prove expensive.
          Any other ideas?

Comment

Thanks so much Uncle John but I'm trying to find the mother of his two oldest children and I'm not having much luck finding her.
            Feeling guilty about your last credit - you can have one of mine if you like (splashed out £6 after Phoenix's comment

Comment

Uncle John - surprisingly that was not the right birth I don't think - at least the father's name was given as Thomas and he was living with George his father in the scottish censuses I've mentioned above.
              I believe registration in England was a bit iffy - in your experience was it the same in Scotland? Or is that a daft question
              JANE

Comment

You could try looking at the Castle Garden site for Thomas's emigration; unfortunately he has a very common name:

Castle Garden

Another possibility is the Scottish Emigration Database:

Scottish Emigration Database: Search

Comment

Thanks Mary
                  Not much luck there unfortunately - on the Castle Garden site they include all under a Great Britain banner (as opposed to Scotland) and with a name like Thomas Wilson it's very needle in a haystackish.
                  The Scottish Emigration site seems to start from 1923 (at least with Wilsons it does) so I may have to wait a long while there

Comment

The 1880 US census is free to view on familysearch.org.

Comment

Looked at the 1881 USA census and five G Wilson's come up with a father called Thomas but I do not think any of them fit your family as none of them are West America. Did look at them and some of the peeps on them are born in England and one lady in Scotland.
                      May be you should look it is free and you never know they could have got the place where they were born wrong it happened quite a lot.
                      The states were
                      Ohio
                      Illinois
                      Kentucky
                      Missouri
                      Virginia
                      GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
                        Uncle John - surprisingly that was not the right birth I don't think - at least the father's name was given as Thomas and he was living with George his father in the scottish censuses I've mentioned above.
                        I believe registration in England was a bit iffy - in your experience was it the same in Scotland? Or is that a daft question
                        JANE
                        All of my Scottish registrations have been 100% accurate. And the 1855 ones are priceless with the level of detail. Unless there's a glaring error with the birth location on the censuses, the one I found was the only one that was anywhere near matching. How about the father being George Thomas or Thomas George? You may be lucky and find a likely birth or bap. or even the marriage (1855 if you're very lucky, more likely an OPR banns or marriage record).

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help today. Am now being booted off by other half Still open for suggestions
                          JANE

Comment

Have you looked in the wills on ScotlandsPeople? They are free to search and you might just be lucky.

Comment

Working...
                            X