Grandfathers death cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfathers death cert

I have the death cert of my Grandfather Alfred George Russell in 1927. This was my Dad's father. The informant was A. Russell his son living in 60 Talfourd Road Peckham. I know it is either Alfred or Arthur.
    Is there any way I can get information about him. He was obviously my Dad's brother and I know nothing about my Dad's family.

June

Have you found Alfred George Russell in the 1901 census? There may be family with him that would give you a clue.

And what is his age on the death certificate, to give us some idea of when he was born?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

June

How old was your grandfather when he died, who/when did he marry, and when was your father born?

If we can set a time frame we can probably find A's birth, although bringing him forward may prove more difficult (but not impossible)

OC

Comment

Do you have your father's birth cert? This should give his mother's maiden name, which should be the same for A's mother, thus being a clue for a trawled search for A's birth, or other siblings ...
        Bridget

Comment

Grandfathers death cert.

Thanks for your replies.
          Sorry to have misled you. I have found all the census info and certs for my Dad's family. It was the moving forward bit I'd like to find. What happened to his brothers.
          My Dad Ernest George Russell was born in 1904. He had 4 brothers and 1 sister. He was the youngest.
          Alfred b.1887
          Frank b.1889
          Arthur b.1894
          Cecilia b.1896-d.1907
          George b.1898-d.1924
          His parents were Alfred George Henry Russell and Annie Norah Scott.
          They married in 1886.
          Annie was born 1863 (thats another mystery)-died in 1923 age 60
          Alfred was born 1859-died 1827 age 67
          My Dad lost contact with his family and I never remember him talking about them so. All I had to go on to start was my Dad's birth certificate.

June

Comment

June, you could look at the electoral roll for that year to see what his full name was (you would have to go to the record office or library to do this as it will not be online), or you could look through the old phone books on Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk to see if there is an entry for a Russell at that address.

You could also search on :: CWGC :: to see if either Alfred or Arthur (or Frank) died in the First World War. There are a lot of matches for A Russell on there but if you go through them clicking on each one, they usually tell you the name and address of the next of kin which should help you work out if any of them are yours.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
              Thanks for your replies.
              Sorry to have misled you. I have found all the census info and certs for my Dad's family. It was the moving forward bit I'd like to find. What happened to his brothers.
              Don't worry, June. It's surprising how the simple action of writing it down helps to make things clearer.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Contact Peckham library to find out what directories, electoral rolls, maps, pics, school records they hold. You can often build up qute a good picture of an area and your family from sources like these.

Be warned, they are part of Southwark Libraries and Southwark Local Studies Library is closing for several months for a re-vamp. If any material is held there, it may not be available for the next few months.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Grandfathers death cert

Thanks everyone

I've looked at the CWGC site but found none of them on there. I will definitely get in touch with Peckham library and see what information I can find out there,
                  Thanks again

June

Comment

Grandfathers death cert

I went back to the CWGC site and looked for other people in my Dads family. He had a G Aunt who had just two sons and both of them were on there. I feel sad now.
                    What a good site though. Very easy to search.

June

Comment

Working...
                    X