Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black sheep/gold miner?

Hi all

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can find details regarding a 'black sheep' of the family who emigrated and was then never mentioned.

His name was Henry James Hedges (Harry), born 6 July 1889 in Southampton; the second child of James and Flora (nee Titheridge). My father remembers that his name was rarely mentioned for reasons unknown and he was certainly never discussed by his own father William, (Henry's youngest brother).

The story is that he emigrated to the Gold Coast (Ghana) to become a gold miner date unknown; although it must be after Sept 1912, as he was a witness at his sister's wedding. It is believed that he died between 1930-36, (although I have no definate proof of this). I have no idea if he married, became a gold miner etc.

James died in 1911 and Flora 1954, after locating their grave, an urn with the name Harry was on top, but with no other information and James and Flora are the only two occupants. After my grandmother died, I found a photo of a man in his 40's, dressed in white t-shirt, shirt and blazer. The photo was taken by Peter & Son, of Nairobi & Mombasa, Kenyan Colony. As he is the only family member who emigrated, I can only assume it is Henry.

I have searched the passenger list on findmypast.com with no obvious matches. I have also searched the same site for deaths abroad and even been in contact with the Ghana Embassy in London, who gave me an address in Accra to apply for a death certificate, but I never received any information!!

Can anyone suggest how I might discover how and when he left Britain and how I can find information of his life in Africa.

Many thanks

Terri

Terri

Did he do war service in WW1? Maybe he emigrated rather than be conscripted.

OC

Comment

Hi

OC - I haven't found any evidence that he served in WW1 and so it is very possible that he emigrated to avoid conscription.

Val - wonderful website I will peruse at my leisure.

Can't wait for the 1911 census to be available, it will hopefully give me a clue as to his occupation. I wish I could discover when he left Britain and by what means. If he was avoiding conscription could he have used a different name?

Terri

Comment

Terri

It's unlikely he would bother with a different name, but possible I suppose. He would have found it quite difficult to emigrate during the war years anyway as shipping was curtailed.

To go out there as a gold miner, he would have needed mining skills, so maybe he just went there and later became a miner?

If he was still in England in 1916, he would have been conscripted, so must have left before then, or after 1918.

If you know the family address in 1911, you can buy a copy of the census entry now, but it is £45 and no guarantee that he was living at that address.

OC

Comment

OC - thank you for that.

To be honest I hadn't considered he was trying to avoid conscription, might explain why he was never talked about within the family after his departure.

There is a chance that being 22yr in 1911, he may be still home, so it might be worth applying for the census entry;it's either that or I put him on the back burner for a while longer.

Have noticed the links sent by JBee on one of your postings so they might be worth a look.

Bearing in mind the picture I have, it may be worth me spending some time looking at Kenya.

Thanks again for your help.

Terri

Comment

Terri...many many railway workers went to African countries to work,because they had the experience of working trains/freight/line maintenance etc..the Africans couldn`t manage...and compared to England,railway workers in Africa had a very "good job"...I don`t know how common this was ,but I had an ancestor who went to "Bechuanaland"..can`t recall what its new name is now..Zanzibar/Rhodesia/etc ALL tempted railway workers to their countries...hope this helps..just might be why he went to Ghana...allan;)
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan

Excellent thought! Henry's father worked on the railway, as did most of his uncles and brothers. I stupidly didn't think about railways, just got bogged down by the thought he was a gold miner. Maybe that was his 'dream', he certainly wouldn't be the first to think it could be a get rich scheme!

The thing I can't get past is how and when he left the country.

Terri

Comment

Working...
              X