WW1 death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 death

If a soldier died in WW1 and was burried abroad, would their death be registered in UK? If not is, there anywhere else apart from the war graves site I might get information. I'm really looking for a death cert. to see if someone on the war graves and medal card sites is a member of my Dad's family. (He's on 1901 census but then disappears from view.)
    Cath.

I think someone has said before that you have to look at deaths overseas index on findmypast.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks, Wendy. There are 4 on there with his name but not as many as on the war graves site. One of those on the war graves looks like him but I've no way of proving it. There are no details of age, place of birth. etc. I'm trying to identify the chap in my avatar.
      Cath.

Comment

A death certificate from WW1 is not going to provide any useful information that can't be obtained for free at TNA.

Did he come from a town or a village? In your avatar, is he kitted out in regimental regalia? If so, can you identify the regiment? His name is probably listed in a local war memorial. There might be a plaque in his old school or in the church. There may be a regimental museum with details of some of the soldiers, or an article in the local paper a little while after he died.

If his surname is after the letter H, it is worth waiting for Ancestry to index the records, as that may tell you something useful?
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix, He was born in Bury, Lancs but the picture appears to be a Seaforth Highlander. His father was Scottish but with Merseyside connections. I never thought of looking at the war memorial (DOH!!) I'll try to have a quick look when I'm in Bury tomorrow - grandchildren permitting. The name of the person I'm looking for was Norman Graham and there's one on the war graves site with no other details other than he was a Seaforth highlander. I'm trying to discover if it's him in the pic. - it's a family photo but nobody knows who it is.
          Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post

If his surname is after the letter H, it is worth waiting for Ancestry to index the records, as that may tell you something useful?
            I've just looked at the Service Records info on Ancestry:
            About British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
            This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II. The type of information contained in these records includes: name of solider, age, birthplace, occupation, marital status, and regiment number.
            It then offers you A-Y as browsing letters for surnames.

Perhaps that phase of access problems yesterday was down to them uploading the rest. It is labelled as "updated." - Although the "What's New" page still refers to only A-H.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is also the Soldiers Who Died in the Great War on Findmypast and Family Relatives, which does tell you where the person was born; in fact, the free search of that database on findmypast gives you the birthplace or residence but there will be extra info if you view the full entry (i.e. presumably if you do that then you will be able to see which of them is the Seaforth Highlander). Anyway, the 3 Norman Grahams listed on the free search were born in Brechin Forfarshire; Leith; and Edinburgh respectively and there is also a Norman Villiers Graham whose birthplace is not given but his residence was Whitley Bay, Northumberland. So it doesn't look as though any of them is yours.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI

According to findmypast the Norman Graham born Brechin is the one that shows he was in the Seaforth Highlanders.
                WendyP

Comment

There's a not-very-informative medal card for that one, too:
                  Gordon Highlanders, Seaforth Highlanders S/21690, S/41601

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's another medal card for a Norman Graham in "Sea: Highrs" - at least it's in that set of records, but not really a medal card. He enlisted 3-1-18 and was discharged 30-4-18. Reg No: 8/25964

Not much info on it - unless you can interpret cryptic military initials/numbers.

Christine

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help with this. It looks like another unsolved issue. Maybe I'll get back to it again someday.
                      Cath.

Comment

Working...
                      X