Such common names!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such common names!!

I am researching a very common name, Robert Roberts of Liverpool, my 2x great grandfather, and find that there are so many I am unable to find a place to start.

I have obtained the marriage cert of his son John, (my great grandfather) who married in Liverpool in 1868 and on that cert Roberts occupation is, what looks like, "farmer".

After a lot of frustrating work and 3 years, I have documented that part of my family from 1868 onwards, but am stuck at going further back because of the common name.

Any suggestions as to how to tackle this problem would be very much appreciated.

Kathlyn

The only thing I can suggest is to search for a will - farmers nearly always made them. The will should have his address, and hopefully the names of some members of his family, which may enable you to go further.

Comment

The sorts of things you could do would probably involve a few days spent in Liverpool.

I assume that none of the witnesses to the wedding relate to John's side of the family, and there are no stray relations in the household 1871 - 1901?

What is John's occupation? Does he live on the same street the whole time, or move about?

If he is poor, I would look to see if any workhouse records survive, and trawl them for any mentions of the surname.

If he stayed in one place, I would look at church records, particularly for marriages of siblings.

There can't have been too many farmers in Liverpool. This might mean agricultural labourer, or he could be a farrier? Either way, it suggested that Robert possibly wasn'y born in Liverpool. The name suggests an origin in Wales, though the migration could be recent or in the previous century.

You have obviously found it soul-destroying work, trying to locate "your" John and his father, but it would be worth-while documenting the men who definitely are NOT your relatives, simply so you don't have to cover the same ground twice.

I take it, too, that John has no children with nice exotic names. (Some families have no consideration for their descendants!)
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Have you found them in the 1871 census?

Comment

Kathlyn, what is John's birthplace on the censuses?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Mary and Kite Runner,

John married a Mary Mawdsley and witnesses at the wedding were Richard and Hannah Bibby, John records his occupation as Carter on the marriage cert. and he is of "full" age. I obtained the marriage cert for Richard and Hannah and that is what has given me a clue to the possible relationship of Hannah to Mary Mawdsley, ie aunt.

I knew that John had died fairly young, so I searched for a death cert and found one in the right place and the right age. I sent off for this cert hoping it would tell me the address of where he died and also the informants name, hoping this would be his wife Mary. Sadly, he was injured at work and died in the Liverpool Royal Infirmary therefore giving the informants name as the "registra".

I contacted the Liverpool RO in the hope that it may have been reported in the local newspapers. It was, in 3 to be exact.....but they only gave the same info that was on the death cert. so I cannot underline this John as "mine".

Richard and Hannah were also the witnesses at the second marriage of Mary after John Roberts had died.

John and Mary had one daughter, Mary Ellen, by the time of the 1871 census but I have been unable to locate that entry, I understand it is possible that is one of the census that is "missing".

Because of the common name I have not been successful in finding John prior to his marriage, ie. 1851 and 1861 census.

I am unable to go to Liverpool to research as I live in Essex, but I have joined the Lancs Family History Society and am hoping to find someone willing to go there for me as and when I have information worth using.

There are times when i feel like setting fire to all the papers I have in frustration, but I have managed to breakdown barriers slowly and this will not beat me. I have spoken lol lol.

I do very much appreciate your comments and suggestions, as i am sure you will agree, there are times when your head feels like scrambled egg.

Kathlyn

Comment

Have you tried looking for his burial, Kathlyn?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just had a possible break through Kite Runner.. I thought I had better get the cryptic part of my brain working, so I had a look at the marriage cert of John Roberts and the occupation of his father, Robert.

At first sight it does look like "farmer", but I played around with other possibilities and tried "mariner".....bingo, I have found a possible in the 1851 census a Robert Roberts, mariner, with a son John born about the right year.

I will persue this line of search and see what it throws up. I am very grateful for your help with my little headache, you spured me onto thinking "differently".

Many thanks

Kathlyn ps....Him indoors has just popped his head round the door and told me he has booked a table for lunch at the Black Lion, so I will be off line for a few hours.

Comment

If you have an LDS centre near where you live, you can order microfilms of parish registers to view at the centre.

Comment

Hi Mary,

No I am not near and LDS centre so will just have to beaver away.

Kathlyn

Comment

Kathryn

Keep plugging away! I do understand, I have some common names too, including William Williams and John, William and Robert Gray!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X