Edwin Littlejohns and Jane Bennett.

I have the following children:

Edwin born 1857 in Holborn
    Frederick born 1858 in Geneva Switzerland
    Sarah born 1861 in Holborn
    Frank born 1863 in Croydon
    Charles born 1866 in Croydon
    Nelly born 1871 in Croydon

I have all the above births apart from Frederick's who obviously wont appear on the GRO Index.

However my GG Grandfather William Littlejohns who according to census and marriage cert would of been born c1870 and in the census he has various places of birth, such as Upper Norwood and Anerley. But I can not locate a birth for him. I have even contacted surrounding register offices for searches with no luck. Also can not find a death. He was still alive in 1919 when his wife died.

I know Edwin his father was a Stage Carpenter so was likely to move around the London, Surrey and Kent area. But all his other children are registered apart from my GG Grandfather William.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions or ideas?

thanks
    Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
    My family tree
    In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Can you give the ref numbers of the census you have found William on ? Anerley where is this?
    GWEN

Comment

1901 - William LIttlejohn - RG13; Piece: 527; Folio: 129; Page: 1.
      1891 - William Littlejohn - RG12; Piece: 142; Folio 138; Page 26; GSU roll: 6095252.
      1881 - William Littlejohns - RG11; Piece: 321; Folio: 58; Page: 2; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341069.
      1871 - William Littlejohn - RG10; Piece: 849; Folio: 161; Page: 98; GSU roll: 827760.

for reference: Mary A Littlejohns is his stepmum in the 1881 census.

thanks
      Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
      My family tree
      In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Comment

Anerley is a suburb of Bromley now, not sure where it was classed in those days. I presume it would come under Surrey.
        My family tree

Comment

Found then on 1871 census and Anerley is near croydon and I think I've found them in 1881 did edwin remarry only with a new wife
          called Mary. looking for clues to find his birth Reg

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
          Can you give the ref numbers of the census you have found William on ? Anerley where is this?
          GWEN

Comment

yep Edwin did remarry to Mary, who apparently wasnt a very nice lady. Liked a drink or two lol
            My family tree

Comment

I've been trawling through BMD for you but no luck so far all the littlejohns seem to have been born in Devon or cornwall just the odd few for surrey so far. I wonder if they forgot where William was born as they travelled aound so much!!!!!
              GWEN

Comment

I know he is definately a difficult one :(, it is typical it would be my gg grandfathers birth they didnt get round to registering wouldn't it?? lol Especially as they registered all the others.
                My family tree

Comment

Perhaps we should look for his death where was he living when his wife died?
                  GWEN

Comment

William F Littlejohn abt 1876 1921 Apr-May-Jun Hackney Greater London, London, Middlesex

could this be him

Comment

I presume that is a death reference???

It could be him, although the age is a bit out and I am quite sure he never had a middle name. Although without a birth record who knows.

Although saying that I just remembered I have him on an electoral role in 1924.
                      My family tree

Comment

Working...
                      X