For Tribal pages fan's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Tribal pages fan's.

Have just been looking at the tech support forum. They are going to change the security system.
    It all looks very confusing though I'm sure that I'll work it out eventually.
    I have my one name study on there and at the moment if I give someone the password and they don't give me anything in return, I change the password. This means that I have to give others the new password and its quite a good way of tracking who is currently using it.
    The new system is to let people make up there own password and, if I understand it correctly, you will know when they are accessing the site. You can ban them from the site if you wish.
    Must go back and read the rules again!!!
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

I don't like that idea!

Like you, I use the password to control who currently has access and to ban any naughty ones.

OC

Comment

Just had a look. All sounds very complicated I have to say. Maybe it will be easier once the system is in place. One thing though, I won't be letting anybody having admin rights over my site. Any changes will be down to me.
      Pauline
      xx
      OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
      www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Comment

I don't like that idea. I thought the idea of an owner password was to only allow those you want to view the site access. This will give all and sundry access to everyone's site.
        The reason I use the site is because I can keep my tree, photo's, copies of certificates as private as I want.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

No, I don't allow access to anyone. Any contacts get info from my FTM on my computer nowhere else.

If they do that I will remove my data altogether. We must keep an eye on this.

Comment

I've just deleted my tree on Tribal Pages.

It won't go back on until I know the info is controlled by me and no-one else.

Comment

If anyone contacts me I give them details from my copy on the PC. I don't open the tree as I have had people take all my info before without even a thankyou.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                If anyone contacts me I give them details from my copy on the PC. I don't open the tree as I have had people take all my info before without even a thankyou.

Same here Wendy.

That is why I have just deleted my tree on TP. I will make sure my info is secure, to my satisfaction, before it goes back on.

After all, it only takes minutes to put it back on.

That's why I like the gedcom system on this site. There can be no blatant copying. You have to make contact with the person and they choose what info to send you.

Comment

As I understand it, from reading their technical forum, anyone who wants access to your tree has to get your permission. After that, they choose their own password, and you can stop their access whenever you like.

People who already have access to your tree will continue to have it, but will be asked to give their e-mail address and choose a password.

Comment

That might be the case Mary, but I would rather be sure first. No one has my password, not even family members. I made that mistake with GR. I gave access to the tree to my cousin. She then passed on the info to anyone willy nilly without even checking if they were a definite connection.

She emailed me a few months ago, very excited cause she had found a new "cousin" on GR. I have given her access to my tree she says. I got her to tell this person to email me. She did, I can't see a connection at all. Too vague and no certs to back anything up. Too late though, as my cousin has already given her the info. At least I know that since I gave my cousin access to my tree on GR there is lots more added which she doesn't know about and has never asked.

Before anyone thinks I am being mean, my cousin has never done any research of her own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      As I understand it, from reading their technical forum, anyone who wants access to your tree has to get your permission. After that, they choose their own password, and you can stop their access whenever you like.
                      That sounds a bit weird

Couldn't they just go ahead anyway ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

No, according to what they say on the techie forum, you can ban people you've given permission to whenever you like.

I don't see the point of the change myself - I liked it as it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                          No, I don't allow access to anyone. Any contacts get info from my FTM on my computer nowhere else.
                          Hi Margaret,

I'm just curious why you had your tree on Tribal Pages - can people still search it for names and contact you, even if they don't have access to the tree itself?

I have a tree on GR and on Ancestry/Rootsweb and while I do have some concerns about people taking information without permission (I've been burned that way once), I don't know how else to let potential relatives know what names I have and where/when.

Thanks -

Tim
                          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Tim - You can set your permissions on Tribal Pages to either allow open access or to have your names searchable, in the latter case, people contact you if they think they have an interest. It is always up to you to decide if you want them to see your Tree.
                            Bridget

Comment

For the concerned amongst you, Tribal Pages has posted this statement -

"I'd like to have everyone take a second and read this clarification that was posted below. Unfortunately it seems to have gotten buried, and it is important.

In addition to the info below, please remember: we will only _increase_ the security of your sites. We will never allow others to edit your site, or to access your site without your permission.

There are some very real concerns that we're trying to address (security and otherwise). There are some very important features that we can't provide right now without some of the things we're suggesting.

However, we know who our customers are, and we know (well) that many are change-averse. Your feedback has been great on this.

Let's keep this positive: I promise we won't put anything into production without more discussion here and we'll never put any of your information in jeopardy."
                              Bridget

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
                                Hi Margaret,

I'm just curious why you had your tree on Tribal Pages - can people still search it for names and contact you, even if they don't have access to the tree itself?

I have a tree on GR and on Ancestry/Rootsweb and while I do have some concerns about people taking information without permission (I've been burned that way once), I don't know how else to let potential relatives know what names I have and where/when.

Thanks -

Tim
                                Tim

People can still search for names and then contact me. I send any relevent info via email from my FTM

I really use it as a back up system

Comment

Bridget & Margaret,

Thanks for the explanation - now it all makes sense.

Tim
                                  "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Tim

In a way, there are THREE levels of security on TP.

You could search, and find, Fred Bloggs in my TP tree. At that point, all you can see is his name, dob and dod.

You then contact me and after passing various intelligence tests (lol) I give you the visitor's password, which enables you to see my tree in full.

If I get no feedback from you within say, a week, I change the visitor's password and you will have to ask me again if you want to view the tree further. Hopefully, it would take you more than a week to copy the tree in full, should you just be an idle thief!

Only I, my brother, and my elderly uncle, have an EDITOR'S password. This enables changes to be made on the tree. My Uncle is a very old-fashioned gentleman and has even asked me if it is ok for him to show the tree to his 11 year old grand daughter, so I have no worries about him abusing or even accidentally showing the tree to someone else. He has however added some extremely useful snippets of memory in the notes, as they have occurred to him. These are things which he might have forgotten to tell me in the ordinary way of exchanging correspondence, or having a conversation.

Like Margaret, I use TP as a back up. Also for me, it is a way that my brother and I can work simultaneously on the tree without tediously having to tell each other by email what we are doing/have done, and an easy way for my uncle to also see the tree when he wishes, without him having to load gedcoms onto his own pc.

As with any version of my tree, apart from my paper tree, the first people on the tree are my grandparents. I have no online information posted about my parents or my children, or any other living people.

OC

Comment

Hi All,

I have two different sites on Tribal Pages. As far as I am aware people can only see my trees if they have been sent an invitation by myself. Is this going to change?

Hartist

Comment

No ... but when they view your Tree they will be asked for a new password to be set, this will mean you can prevent an individual at a later date, should you so desire, without having to change the password for everyone else.

It is explained better by Tribal Pages - New Security Changes
                                        Bridget

Comment

Working...
                                        X