Birthplace on 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthplace on 1881 census

Could someone who has access to the censuses on Ancestry have a look at the following entry for me please and tell me what you think the man's birthplace says?

RG11. Piece 1003:Folio 20: Page 34.

The enumeration district is St Mary the Virgin,Dover,Kent and the address is "Good Intent", 3 Queen Street,Dover,Kent.

JOHN DANIELS. Lodger. Aged 80. Married. Hawker. Born TOTHERSILL, Surrey.

The Head of Household is Richard Foord, a licenced victualler.

I have all this from the transcription on Family Search and wonder if the birthplace actually says ROTHERHITHE. If it does, this man is one of mine. There doesn't seem to be any such place as Tothersill in Surrey..or anywhere else, come to that.

Thanks very much.

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Ann - the image is very faint and I can't really make it out at all. It does seem to end with RELL or RILL or RILE. It does have a TH somewhere in the middle - unfortunately I can't make it say either Tothersill or Rotherhithe.

Sorry - not much help :o

Anne

Comment

I agree, it is very hard to decipher ... I believe it starts with T ... but it looks more like Totherside than Rotherhithe

what accent might your chap have used?

or did he just say he came from 'tuther side' meaning 'the other side'?
      Bridget

Comment

And now the 1881 census on Ancestry is broken.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I can't make it out, see the attached doc for a snap of it. Lynda
          Attached Files

Comment

U John - it is still working for me ...
            Bridget

Comment

There is a double "r" in the middle of the word, identical to how he wrote Surrey.

Comment

There is a man who fits that description living in Kent and his pob looks very much like Rotherhithe, Surrey, on the 1871 census.

RG10; Piece: 1020; Folio: 76; Page: 43
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  There is a man who fits that description living in Kent and his pob looks very much like Rotherhithe, Surrey, on the 1871 census.

RG10; Piece: 1020; Folio: 76; Page: 43
                  Yes, I have that one Wendy and am pretty sure it relates to my 3xgt grandfather's brother. That's why I'm interested in this 1881 entry as everything else fits, except his birthplace isn't Rotherhithe, which it should be.

Thanks for the screen shot of the entry Lynda. That first letter is NOT an "R" is it? I think it is "T". I don't know, but assume his accent was a standard "London" one as he was born in Rotherhithe and the family later moved to Limehouse.

I'm not sure what it says either..but it certainly isn't Rotherhithe. Maybe the enumerator misheard what was said. I think I'll have to keep this entry as a "possible".

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ann
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Could that first letter be an F? - with the middle crossing too faint to see? It would be easier to confuse the sounds of F/R than T/R.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I do not think it is Rotherhithe but cannot work it out yet but I think it begins with a T
                      GWEN

Comment

I've been racking my brains for likely placenames in Surrey but to no avail.

Comment

T otherr ed

R other ide

Rotherhithe

I could make out the case for a badly written place name being misunderstood. He's a lodger, after all, so the information would be transmitted, probably verbally to the head of household, who then scrawled it down for the enumerator to disentangle. It's even possible that it was actually Rotherhide to start with, but the descender of Bilsington got in the way and masked the ascender of the second h. It may be a double ll at the end, but the enumerator does his ds just like ll.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I rather like Bridget's suggestion of "Totherside"...

Coming from t'other side would explain a lot about some of my harder to trace rellies!

Ann
                            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

"Is there anybody there?"

Comment

Working...
                              X