Date for this photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for this photo please

I was told that this was my grandmother, her sister and her sister's daughter. The daughter wasn't born until 1923. Just isn't possible. The one in the middle is certainly my grandmother. She was born in 1897.

Any ideas of a date?

Do you reckon that the girl on the left of my previous post is the same as in this one?

Comment

Any ideas on this one as well?

I think the notices around this was are a bit of a mickey take on the temperance movement. As you can imagine it really didn't take off in Burton on Trent, the home of beer.

Any ideas on a date? I haven't a clue who they are but it was with my grandmothers photos.

Comment

i dont think its the same lady maybe sister,s?2nd picture 1930.40.first picture early 1900,s brenda xxx

Comment

Bren

1st picture certainly not early 1900's. The lady in the centre is my grandmother and she wasn't born until 1897.

Comment

Margaret

I'm struggling with this! I would place the first picture between 1910-1920 as the skirt -and - blouse is very typical of the period.

However, to my eyes, the lady in the middle of this photo looks older than the other two and I would say she was the mother and the other two were her daughters!

The second picture looks mid 1920s to 1930s - dropped waist loose fitting dress again very typical of the time. She looks like a young girl (late teens early 20s) and is not any of the three women in the first photo. Her chin is very prominent and she has a long area between mouth and chin which none of the other three women have.

A puzzle!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

I know who the second one is, the date on the back is 1919 (well I assumed it was a date, it could be a code number I suppose)

The first one, I could have sworn the middle lady was my grandmother, my aunt also said it was her mother.

I will take a good look at all of my photos of her again and double check.

Margaret

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Margaret

I'm struggling with this! I would place the first picture between 1910-1920 as the skirt -and - blouse is very typical of the period.

However, to my eyes, the lady in the middle of this photo looks older than the other two and I would say she was the mother and the other two were her daughters!

The second picture looks mid 1920s to 1930s - dropped waist loose fitting dress again very typical of the time. She looks like a young girl (late teens early 20s) and is not any of the three women in the first photo. Her chin is very prominent and she has a long area between mouth and chin which none of the other three women have.

A puzzle!

OC

Comment

Also

My grandmother (born 1897) was the eldest of nine children. She had sisters born in 1898, 1900, 1901, 1910 and 1915.

The lady in the second picture is the one born in 1910.

The youngest is still alive. Perhaps I should go and visit her. I haven't seen her for a few years but she doesn't live far from me.

Comment

This is another photo of my grandmother (born 1897). The picture on her necklace was apparently the man she was engaged to before my grandfather. Grandmother and Grandfather married in 1925. I asked an uncle if the former fiance was killed in WW1. He said, No, she dumped him because he embarrassed her in public. Apparently they were in the market and he was making comments about the ladies underwear stall very loudly. :D

Here is the first one again

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 16-08-08, 11:03.

Comment

I think the one in the middle is your grandmother and that is was taken around 1918. I have a photo of my grandmother taken in 1918 wearing very similar clothing. Could the two ladies with her be two of her younger sisters. The one on the left certainly looks like her.

Comment

Hi Jane

I was told that the lady on the right of the photo was grandma's sister Catherine who was born in 1898.

But, I was also told that the younger one was Catherine daughter of Catherine, that can't be right as she wasn't born until 1923.

It must be another sister but I will have to go and see aunty Daisy (great aunt really) and ask her. Daft really, she only lives a 10 minute walk from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X