Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I am new member

Hello,

I have just joined this forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have been researching my family history since 2004 and have found it both interesting and frustrating!

My main names are MORTON - Sheffield, HOSKINS - Staffordshire/Derbyshire

DENT - Measham, HART - London and South Shields/Darlington, BATTY - Sheffield,

DONNELLY - Ireland/Dunston, Tunnicliffe - Stratford Essex/Ashbourne Derbyshire

I already have a lot of info on these families but if anyone else is researching these names I would be more than happy to share info.

I recently found out that my 4 X GGrandfather was a ship owner. His name was Ralph Hart born in Darlington in C 1792. He appears to have had a Brig called Eleanor built in Sunderland in 1824 and a Barque called Vansittart built in Prize, year unknown.

Two questions come to mind, How can I find out more about these ships and what they carried, Ralph seems to have divided his time between London and South Shields, he has two children born in London and two in South Shields.
    I have tried Google with various different search terms with little success.

The second question is Where is Prize?

Thankyou for reading this thread.

Hartist

Welcome Hartist.........

My OH has Harts in his tree. I'll have a look and get back.

Have you tried Google Books for the ships? I find them often better than ordinary Google for older info.

Comment

Just had a quick look for Alice Hart...............born England 7th Feb 1870.....there's a job for me today.

Comment

Hi Harry's mum,

Thanks I will try that.

Hartist

Comment

Welcome to the boards Hartist

]

Comment

Welcome, Hartist.

There are a lot of ships called Eleanor so you will need to be careful to check that any info you find relates to the right one.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Welcome to FTF it is a very friendly site hope you find out lots of additional information try this site

HMS Vansittart, destroyer
              GWEN

Comment

Also, there was more than one ship called the Vansittart - sorry to say that the Navy one found by Gwen will not be the same one that you are looking for!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you know what ship yard built these ships you mention as that might help you find out more.
                  GWEN

Comment

Just wanted to say welcome to the site Hartist hope you enjoy it ;;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Lloyds

Neither ship appear on this site for Lloyds Shipping Register yet, but they are adding ships all the time and they say they will look them up for you. There are some other links on the site too which might be worth following.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Hartist, welcome

Given the expression "To carry coals to Newcastle", I would venture a guess that coal would be a likely cargo from South Shields to London.

Roger

Comment

Roger beat me to it. Coals would be the obvious cargo from Shields to London.
                          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Oooooohhhh...I had a Tunnicliffe from Ashbourne marry into my Grime lot
                            Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Hartist,

have you seen the entry in Pigot's directory of Cheshire.( etc., etc.), 1828-9, page 179 on

Historical Directories

which gives Ralph Hart as a ship owner in Albion Street, South Shields, with an asterisk to indicate that he was also a Master ?
                              Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 13-08-08, 09:43. Reason: 1828 not 1928 lol

Comment

Hi Everyone (sun is shining!!!)

Thankyou for all the replies.

Roger - I have just looked at the Directory you mentioned - this may seem a daft question but as a Master does that mean he would have sailed on the ship himself?

The Eleanor had a tonnage of 188 - she was built in Sunderland in 1824, when I look for info I will have to pay close attention to the tonnage.Unfortunately I do not have a tonnage for the Vansittart.

With regard to cargo, I agree with coal and possibly timber, do you think the ships would have travelled abroad or just up and down the English coast?

Gwen - I am not sure what ship yards they were built at.

Mandy - A possible connection?

Kiterunner - Thanks for the info, there do seem to have been some popular names for ships of that time - typical that my ancestor had one of the popular names.

Thanks again everyone - must go and do some housework!!

Hartist

Comment

Hartist...I have sent you a private message...hopefully you can find it
                                  Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Hartist,

I take Master to mean that he was qualified to command a ship, so probably he did sail in his own ships.

Comment

It could have been a sailing barge guys - which were coastal.

Comment

Mandy,

Found your PM have sent you one - need more info .

Hartist

Comment

Working...
                                        X