Death at Sea question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death at Sea question

I know that James Sudder died on 18th Aug 1918 from his Naval record on HMS Scott. I looked in the index on the marine deaths and in the vessels column it says HMS Dido so I am very confused.

Has anyone got a marine death cert or can explain it?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Perhaps he was sunk or transferred off HMS Scott and picked up by HMS Dido which might have had a sick bay or was the nearest ship and where he died?

He was probably still listed as ships company on HMS Scott even with a temporary transfer.

Have you looked to see what happened to HMS Scott?

Torpedoed off Dutch Coast -15th August 1918 - Flotilla Leader see link

Last edited by JBee; 12-08-08, 20:50.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I don't know if this is of any help, but one of my distant relatives served on Dido in WW1.

It was originally Actaeus, and was the only Eclipse Class Cruiser not to see active service in the war. She served the destroyer flotillas at Harwich. So your man may have been transferred after being injured, but Dido was never out at sea.
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thats a bit as I understood that there wasn't anything left of him. I looked up his death on War deaths and he is listed on HMS Scott. There are 2 different ref numbers though. Thanks for the links and the info about Dido.
        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

from cwgc it says died 15th same as sinking

Name: SUDDER, JAMES WILLIAM
          Initials: J W
          Nationality: United Kingdom
          Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
          Unit Text: H.M.S. "Scott."
          Date of Death: 15/08/1918
          Service No: 212429
          Additional information: Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Son of James Robert and Alice Sudder; husband of Esther Sudder, of 73, Middlegate St., Great Yarmouth.
          Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
          Grave/Memorial Reference: 28.
          Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Comment

Could it be a simple transcription error? 5 and 8 can look very similar.

I know nothing of military death registration procedures, but if the ship was sunk on the 15th with no survivors PRESUMED, and the bodies were recovered on the 18th, would the 18th be the official date of death?

OC

Comment

These documents raise more questions including the phrase HMS Dido for Scott?

The National Archives | Shop | Order copies of documents | Digital express

Comment

Pippa, I presume you've seen this:

HMS Dido

and this:

Destroyer histories. Royal naval old destroyer Scott class. Destroyer website dedicated to the history of HMS Bruce, HMS Campbell, HMS Mackay, HMS Douglas, HMS Malcolm, HMS Montrose and HMS Stuart from their launch to their participation in major wars also notice board for families of ex-crew of Scott Class destroyers.
                Last edited by Uncle John; 30-08-08, 19:12.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X