Henrich Carl Louis Mensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrich Carl Louis Mensing

HCL and his names are used in any order married my g.grandfathers sister Martha Green in 1871 in Ipswich. They had two daughters Minnie and Bertha. Martha dies in 1879.
    Can anyone find HCL on the 1881 census. The daughters are, one with her grandparents and the other with her mothers sister.
    HCL marries again in 1885 to a Florence Ward. He is on the 1891 and 1901

1891 = RG12; Piece: 1385; Folio 83; Page 6 = Chelmsford

1901 = RG13; Piece: 3710; Folio: 66; Page: 23 = Moss Side, Lancashire

Thanks.

When and where was he born, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've tried several tricks without any joy. You'll need to be aware that the German spelling of those given names is usually:
      Heinrich Karl Ludwig

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

He was born in Germany, a British subject, approx 1850ish. I have found him in Ipswich in 1871, just before he married.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          When and where was he born, please?
          The censuses only give "Germany" and ca 1849.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            I've tried several tricks without any joy. You'll need to be aware that the German spelling of those given names is usually:
            Heinrich Karl Ludwig

Christine
            My German ancestor is Carl with a C on his 19th century German marriage certificate; I don't know how common it was to spell it with a C though.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I can't think of any more tricks.

I've had DoB as 1849±2, and Germany and eng* as key words.
              I've tried Hei* and Hen*, Car*, Kar*, and Char*, and Lud*, Lou* and Lew*.

And I also looked in Wales and Scotland.

He's either got a wrongly entered/transcribed DoB, or his name is transcribed (or enumerated) in a very different shape from Mensing. Or Germany didn't get mentioned. Or he didn't describe himself as an engineer.

Sorry not to be able to come up with anything more useful. Perhaps, had he been mine, I might have looked more closely at the ones I dismissed. If you put the right parameters in, you don't get too large a deluge to search through.

Christine

Comment

Maybe he was visiting Germany at the time of the census.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for looking, I've been having another poke round and found the following, the age is a bit out but the occupation is near enough and this chap is a widower.

RG11; Piece: 740; Folio: 18; Page: 30

transcribed as Carl Manson.

What do you think and can you make out what it says after engineer.

Comment

Engineer Electric Light?

The surname looks like Minson rather than Manson, so it could well be him.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite.

If the census is anything to go by Mr. Mensing seemed to have forgotten about his first family as they remained with relatives while he lived with his second wife and family.

Comment

Working...
                      X