Kiernan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiernan

I'm trying to trace where a Michael Kiernan who married Ann Tart in Meol (near Shrewsbury) on 6 Feb 1788 came from and what happened to the family after 1805 (when one of the children was buried) and 1816, when his son Michael (from whom I am descended) married in Manchester and 1820 when another one (John) joined the Royal Marines, attesting at Queen's Square (probably London).

I suspect he may be the son of Terrance and Katherine Kiernan who was baptised in the RC chapel at Lincoln's Inn, London in 1762 as all his own children were baptised RC in Shrewsbury.

Any ideas as to how I can move forward from 1805 in Shrewsbury to find out where the family moved to, or back before 1788 to find where he came from?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

I would try searching for wills if I were you, also the National Burial Index on – Family History Online and findmypast.

As for where they came from, the name and the fact that they were RC suggests that they may have come from Ireland, but actually finding anything to back this up could be difficult, especially without knowing where in Ireland.
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 12-08-08, 16:49.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

RC records are also a bit hit and miss especially that early - you're fortunate to have got back so far.

If you know the diocese you might perhaps be able to see what they have in their archives - there were a lot fewer churches and whether their records have survived the archivist should be able to tell you.

Earliest I've got is 1805 in Northumberland.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Your information is a bit sketchy can you give any more years of birth of the children?
        There is a Michael Kiernan with wife Ann on the 1841 census but his year of birth is abt 1786 he was born in Ireland they are living in London St Martin in The Fields which is not far from Lincolns inn do you think they could be related?
        GWEN

Comment

Working...
        X