Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing twyford

i have a few families i can't find info on. one of the worst is:

josiah twyford. sometimes called twyford smith. born about 1825, in preston, lancashire. according to his death cert. also, his parents are called william twyford and elizabeth sophia bell.

he emmigrated to australia sometime in the 1840's, as he maried margaret palmer in 1850, melbourne. i have the mariage cert. i also have children's births, and his death certfor 1882, kyneton, victoria.

his siblings were mary, ellen, and hugh.

yet, there is a cousin who has a different tree, and i cant contact them.
    they have the mother of josiah as elizabeth unknown, but they have her dates.

i cant find a record on the igi. for josiahs birth or his parents marriage.
    and this cousin say's that josiahs father was another josiah.
    family tradition states that josiah sr/william twyford drowned in a canal.
    and the mother remarried to a james carr. tradition also says her name was margaret lowden.
    i cant find any evidence of this family in england.

can anyone help?

Any idea how old the siblings were?
    Might just be a co-incidence but there is a Josiah Smith, aged 15, living with a Hugh Twyford, aged 35, on the 1841 census.
    Living in Bowden Cheshire, both not born in county.

HO107; Piece 91; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Bowden; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 21; Folio: 7; Page: 10; Line: 7; GSU roll: 241233.
    Elaine

Comment

Just to confuse the issue (- dont know, might clarify!)

IGI Extracted

JOSIAH TWIFORD SMITH

Christened: 14 OCT 1825 Saint John, Preston, Lancashire, England
      Parents listed as
      Father: WILLM. SMITH
      Mother: ELIZABETH SOPHIA

there is a straight Ellen Smith christened same day , same place to an Elizabeth Sophia & William too.

Likewise a Mary Smith 17 NOV 1826
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 12-08-08, 07:48.
      Jess

Comment

A Hugh Twyford, son of Josiah Twyford is bp 24 April 1801 in Manchester. He could possibly be the Hugh that Mary has found.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

jess, i think that's the family!!!

i just checked it out. looks correct. but i cant find a marriage for the parents.

my grandma said josiah emmigrated in 1842, so he may have left england in 1841 and been on the way here already.

she also said that he was tied to the mast!! now, tell me that's not something they might do to a convict!!

Comment

I can't find a convict called Josiah Twyford, but there's a Joseph, transported in 1839:

Society of Australian Genealogists - Twyford

Comment

hmmm, not sure about the joseph. but the christenings are definently correct.
              i should go to the records office in melbourne and see if i can find him on a ship. on my next day off of course!!

thanx for the help so far.

Comment

just a thought, but could sophia be her surname?

it's just, it's taken a hundred years of my family researching this man, and all i've found is his and his sisters christenings?
                don't get me wrong, they're gold!!

but i cant find the family on the census. but, my grandma says she has letters from the sisters sometime in the 19th century to him. apparently my g'ma promised the aunt she inherited them from, that she would gfive them to the national archives. but im going to inherit them she says.

so i should get my hands on those letters.

can anyone find a marriage for william smith to elizabeth sophia bell? i cant find anything on the igi.

and if he was baptised twyford smith, would twyford be the motjhers name,or would twyford smith as the double barrell be williams name from his mother and father?

Comment

kylejustin

By no means everything is on the IGI. They may have married in a church which has not yet had its records transcribed, or even filmed, by the IGI.

Sorry!

OC

Comment

i was looking on the igi and couldn't find any preston marriages from 1800-1830. and i know that they're not all transcribed, but i cant seem to find any address for the church josiah was christened in. it's not like i can just go to the church!!

soz if i seem crabby!! and oc, thanx, and good luck with your holdens, looks like you're enjoying the hunt!!!

Comment

Wonder who this is?

Elizabeth Bell
                      to
                      Richard Smith
                      17 August 1829 St John Preston.

OC

Comment

no clue. maybe arelative of either. i looked on the web, and couldn't find an email or other way to contact churches in preston.

Comment

kylejustin

The records of this church will almost certainly be lodged with the County Records Office by now - it is a legal requirement that completed registers of this age be stored in proper conditions, and as most churches cannot manage this, they deposit them in the County Records Office.

However, I have checked, and this marriage register has been transcribed to the IGI, so failing an omission (quite possible) this couple didn't marry at St John Preston.

You could try emailing LancsRO (they have a website) but they charge for research and as you don't know where this couple got married, it could be very expensive.

However, a request for a check for a marriage for this couple at this specific church shouldn't be too expensive.

I think you said on another thread that you cannot easily get to an LDS family history centre? Shame, as that is the easy option!

Also check our WIKI to see if anyone will do a lookup at the CRO for you - Lancashire Records Office.

OC

Comment

thanx oc, ill definently give those options a try. i might ask around the family as well- they extensive research on our families. maybe if i ask, they may have something of this family.

Comment

Working...
                            X