Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebenezer Chapel in the district of Portsea Island?????????? HELP!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebenezer Chapel in the district of Portsea Island?????????? HELP!!!!!!

For some bizzare reason I have decided to find pictures of all the Churches etc where people in my tree have been married. I have found pictures and located all of them (pictures dated around the time of the marraige) except for one!

I cannot find Ebenezer Chapel in the district of Portsea Island, I have looked endlessly online for any references to it but can't seem to find anything.

Is it possible that if this Chapel no longer exsists that there would be no record of it??? I doubt it...... HELP PLEASE!!!

The marraige I am basing my search on is as follows:

10th Feb 1858
    Elias John Chinn, 21, Baker
    Born Hinton St MAry, Dorset
    Martha Gilbert, 18, no occupation
    Married in Ebenezer Chapel in the district of Portsea Island

Any clues would be great!! Thanks!!!

The Chinns of Hinton St Mary must have been a baking dynasty. My Samuel Chinn, a few years younger, was also a baker until he became a clergyman. He went in a different direction, to Alton.

I'd say the chapel possibly became a mainstream Methodist or Baptist chapel.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I was thinking maybe the name got changed or it got knocked down, shame...... I like collecting my photos, makes the people and events seem more real!! Ha Ha!!

Comment

Is this to do with it?

Ebenezer Chapel (Particular Baptist), Park Lane (East side of Great Southsea Street), Southsea (Seats for 280)

Southsea is next to Portsea. I wouldn't have thought they would want two chapels with the same name within a mile or so of each other?!!

Having looked at a current map, Great Southsea Street still exists, but I don't think Park Lane does. :(

Comment

BAPTIST:
          Tangier Road (formerly 1937-1952
          Copnor Church)
          Meeting House Alley, Portsea 1730-1837* (births)
          White’s Row, Portsea 1817-1837* (births)
          Ebenezer Chapel, Southsea 1808-1837* (births)
          St Thomas, Portsmouth 1785-1837* (includes births)
          Forton, Gosport 1799-1836* (includes births)
          rovidence Chapel 1799-1837* (includes births)

Comment

It's been knocked down :(:(

Untitled-1.jpg

Comment

Ooh, that came out small.....anyway, in 1979.

Here's the link:

Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 11-08-08, 20:56.

Comment

According to the NIPR for Hampshire, the records only survive up to 1836, so you can't unfortunately look at the original registers either.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at all your links.....

I was starting to think it didn't exsist, luckily I have the marraige certificate so not being able to look at the original register is not a problem.

Thought it must have been knocked down, I've been looking for it for months, I need some of that vavavoom you've all got, either that or some glasses! Ha Ha!!

Comment

Have you had a look thru our own Places of Worship photo collection on out Wiki?
                    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                      Have you had a look thru our own Places of Worship photo collection on out Wiki?

I did have a look but can't seem to find anything, unless it's got a different name or isn't stored under the areas I typed (portsea etc)??????????

Comment

Working...
                      X