Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could these be the family im looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could these be the family im looking for?

Hi

trying to trace my Irish lot, i have come across a "border" in 1881. My 3x great grandmother was Mary Ann McGreavy (spelling and name varies slightly) but have confirmation of this from 2 birth certs of her children.

In 1881 the borders name is James Mc Grury, but taking at look at the image and knowing the surname to me it looks similar to Mc greavy. Ref RG11 3690 136 65

Searching for him in 1871 he is living with his parents, in the same town as my lot were in 1871 (Rivington in Lancashire) and the family names are extremely familiar. Mary Anns children were Michael, Ann, Daniel, Hugh, James and Thomas amongst them. The family in 1871 are Parents Ann and Hugh, Children Daniel, Hugh, James and Thomas. For me this is a dead cert, but i wondered what you thought?

1871 info is RG10 4196 22 20 and
    RG10 4196 21 17

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Sounds very likely to me too, Robyne, but I suppose there's always the possibility that James was Mary Ann's cousin. Possibly if you can get death certificates for Ann and Hugh then one of them might have Mary Ann as informant and say "daughter"? I'll have a look and see if I can find anything else to help, though.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite, they seem to have disappeared off the planet after these census'!! theres a possibility of a couple in the 1881 US census but i have been unable to find them on the passenger lists
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There are some possible baptisms for the children and marriage for Hugh on the IFHF site, county Down:
        Ulster Historical Foundation - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Antrim & Co. Down

You can specify a parish to search on there, so you could go through the parishes one by one on the search to see if they were all in the same parish, but it takes a while to do that! Anyway, if you do decide to pay to look at one of the baptisms, it should tell you the parents' names so you can see if they are Hugh and Ann or not.

Surname is spelt McGreavey on the ones that looked particularly promising, e.g. Mary Ann McGreavey baptism 1849 Co Down. Of course, it seems to be a fairly common surname so it may turn out not to be the right people!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X