Is this Sarah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Sarah?

:o Hello everyone, I have asked about this photo before but I don't know where I have put the paper that I wrote your comments on. :o So please forgive me.

This was in a small photo albumn that belonged to my great grandad. Underneath he had written "Aunt Sarah Coleshill" The only person I can see who it could be (who is an actual aunt rather than a friend of the family) Is Sarah who was born in 1858 and died in 1942.

Could this be her? I should add she never married and had no children.

Thanks for looking.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

There have been 36 views on this but no-one has an opinion?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that she looks to be in her early to mid-20's, which - if she was indeed Sarah born in 1858 - would mean that the picture was taken in the early 1880s. I don't claim any expertise in dating photos, but I don't see any evidence in the picture that would contradict such a date.

HTH -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks Tim.

Obviously no-one else has any thoughts on it because there have now been 75 views but only you have replied.

It is quite worrying really because I didn't think this site was like this and any new members looking around the site might get the wrong impression.

Comment

i would say this picture could be her 21st birthday one ?so could have been taken 1880,s brenda xxxx

Comment

Hi there
            What a beautiful lady. I cannot help with dates or anything but I have done a clean up for you. I know there is a photo restore board and hope I haven't broken any rules by posting it here

Niksmum

Comment

Thanks Brenda.

Thanks Niksmum, it's great :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                Thanks Tim.

Obviously no-one else has any thoughts on it because there have now been 75 views but only you have replied.

It is quite worrying really because I didn't think this site was like this and any new members looking around the site might get the wrong impression.

Sorry, Tom - I don't understand what you're criticising?

Obviously if people have looked at the photo but haven't answered it's because they don't know the answer (or don't feel confident that they do).

I looked at the thread myself a few days ago to see what it was about, but I'm no expert on dating photos so I didn't attempt to answer.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-08-08, 01:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                  Thanks Tim.

I would have thought the only impression new member would get is that 75 people have no idea (like me!) Actually probably not that many as I expect many of us have viewed the thread more than once to read the other replies!

People mustn't be afraid to look without posting!!
                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 23-08-08, 13:25.

Comment

The sleeve style, neckline and bodice, hairstyle are very like this one for 1909
                    1900s Fashion

Alternatively, it could be an example of Aesthetic dress from the 1880s, in which those women who favoured it rebelled against the heavily corseted skin tight look of the time, difficult to tell which is probably why few people have offered an opinion. Are there any dating clues such as a photographer's name on the back?

Comment

You need Barbara (who is absent) or Don to take a look

oooooo 184 views .... ooops I just looked again !!!!!
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X