Essex research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex research

Is there any way I can search PRs for Essex (Chelmsford district, Gt Waltham, Chignal Smealy, etc)???
    All pre 1830s.

I have asked at local LDS centre and found the only unhelpful person I've ever found there. I was told "Dunno really" and she couldn't work out if they had access to them.

Since FamilySearch has changed it's look, I can't work it out either.

I know someone here will know.

Have you tried this, Libby? Online Parish Chest I don't know how much content it has yet.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks Joan........not a lot of content yet.

One day....

Comment

Are you looking for the LDS Library Catalogue? It certainly isn't easy to find on family search any more but here's a link:
        Place search page

It looks as if they have filmed the registers of the parishes you mention.
        Jenny

Comment

Thanks Jenny.............
          I searched everywhere for those.

Great Waltham is there but Chignal Smealy hasn't surfaced yet.

Comment

Try this site Chelmsford records office in Essex and I believe they will do look ups for you. Contact them to see how much they charge.
            Read the site there is lots of info on there of how to contact them they say they get emails and letters from peeps all over the world.

Essex County Council - About the Essex Record Office

if you click on family history on this site it gives you a contact number you can email and it states they can send you an application form to complete for the records you require and it will state a cost. It is worth a try it also reads that they are in contact with people from all over the world helping them with their family history.
            Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 11-08-08, 08:17.
            GWEN

Comment

There are some parish registers online at Seax, but not sure which ones.

Comment

This is from their site
                We offer a search service for anyone unable to do the research themselves. For a fee of £20 per hour, payable in advance, we can search parish registers, census returns and any other documentary or printed sources held in the Essex Record Office at Chelmsford, and microfiche and microfilm copies of parish registers held in the Colchester Branch Office.
                hope this helps
                GWEN

Comment

I wonder if thats out of date as Colchester Record Office doesn't exist any more. All the microfiche was transferred to Colchester library.

Comment

Thanks Sue and Gwen

I did contact them ages ago and they couldn't give me any idea how long the research would be (which is understandable), but I have a very common Essex name.

I'd be quite happy to pay them to just photocopy either just the pages with those names or all the pages (lol) and I'd try to sort it.

Might have to wait till they come online.

Comment

Libby

I need to go to Chelmsford Records Office sometime so if you have the exact information I could look it up for you.

However, be warned I've been trying to get there for the past 6 months so you may have a bit of a wait!

Elaine
                      Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Have you thought about trying the Essex Rootsweb list??

It's possible someone may be able to help you on it.

Comment

Thanks Elaine......I will pm you.

I have tried the Rootsweb list Geniedi.......I think everbody who lives outsied UK uses the Essex list often. Thanks though. Sometimes I forget there are other places.

Comment

GENUKI: Essex

Don't know if this is any help??

Comment

Libby,
                              Chignal Smealey is listed but LDS has hyphenated it so that's probably why it didn't come up. I just put in Chignal in the search box. Hopefully, this link will work.
                              Topic details ('England, Essex, Chignal-Smealey - Church records')
                              I'm determined to get to Essex Records Office myself one day - I have lots of things to look up there.
                              Jenny

Comment

Libby

I can't help with the PRs but I took the POW photos for Chignal Smealey and also have another view of St Nicholas' Church. If you would like higher resolution copies I can email them if you PM me your email address. If there are any that I've taken in other areas I can also send those.

Jackie
                                Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                X