Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing BASTON Family 1881 Census

Let me confirm what I have so far.

Jane Hicks b1856 Thrupp, Berkshire (Faringdon dist)
    cnfmd BMD

1861 England Census
    Ann Hicks - c 1857 born: Faringdon, Berkshire,
    Parents - Joseph and Elizabeth
    Other family members:
    Ann Hicks 4
    Elizabeth Hicks 25
    George Hicks 3
    Jane Hicks 1
    Joseph Hicks 26

1871 England Census
    Ann Hicks born c 1857 Phressp, Berkshire
    Occupation - Servant
    Other household members:
    Ann Banting 50
    Thomas Banting 56
    Ann Hicks 14
    Henry Kinchin 15

Marriage to John Baston BMD 1876 BMD Faringdon Dec 2c 597 (no certificate )

There are a couple of births which could be other children, but not confirmed.

Next Census I have found is 1891 with Edward living with grandparents. Nothing for parents - there is possible death for Jane, but not confirmed.

The 1881 census may help to confirm any additional children or if Jane was still alive. I just can't seem to find any of them.

1901 census shows John Baston living with grandparents - found his birth as Dec 1881 Buckland, Berks, Witney parish to he won't be on the 1881 census but can't find him either on the 1891.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Linda
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-08-08, 20:00. Reason: Copyright - please do not copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry. Thanks.

Hi Linda, I can't find John Baston in 1901. Could you tell me his details please.

What was Edward's middle name?

Comment

1901 Census mistranscribed as John Basham, living with grandparents, wroughton, swindon

Name Age
      William Allan 4
      John Basham 20
      Elizabeth Hicks 64
      Joseph Hicks

Edwards George J Baston - assume the J would be John as well.

Thanks

Comment

As John and Edward (Edward George J) were both born at Buckland then isn't it likely they are both the same person? Buckland is in Faringdon district, not Witney.

Not that that helps the 1881!

Comment

Could you tell me which death you were thinking might be Jane's as I can't see it!! (sorry)

Comment

Jane Hicks b1856 Thrupp, Berkshire
            Ah, it's Ann not Jane, isn't it?!!

Comment

So this is the death you were looking at?

Deaths Jun 1884
              Baston Ann 25 Witney 3a 474

Comment

sorry its definitely Ann (e) Hicks I was working on Jane Hicks earlier and have sorted her.

Ann Hicks born 1856 BMD Dec 2c 239 Faringdon

possible death Deaths Jun 1884
                Baston Ann 25 Witney 3a 474 only because I couldn't find anything else - like you say not Faringdon

Comment

John Baston birth Dec 1881
                  BASTON John Witney 3a 777 - although on the 1901 Census, place of birth given as Buckland, Berkshire - it is possible that they could have some registered in Faringdon and some in Witney??

Comment

Only if the birthplace on the census is wrong! (which it could be)

What about this death though?:

Deaths Mar 1880
                    Baston Ann 23 Highworth 5a 14

Highworth district is where the Hicks family were in 1881/91.

Comment

possibility - but the birth of John Baston 1881 after mothers death?

Comment

I'm wondering about this one as well:

Deaths Dec 1892
                        Baston John 41 Highworth 5a 6

Comment

But could we have two John Bastons on the go here?

Comment

The 1881 census should put them all together - and get a dob for Father John which I dont have as yet. That would give us an idea of age at death.

Comment

I am now wondering about what you said earlier about them being the same person John and Edward G J?

Comment

The 1881 census should put them all together

Not if Ann is dead and baby Edward is actually with his grandparents but they didn't think to put him on their census record!!! (I hope I'm joking! lol)
                                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 10-08-08, 21:03.

Comment

Trouble is, we have to have the child with John (dad) in 1881 in order to identify him, if the death for Ann in Highworth district is his wife (not saying it is, of course)

I've checked all the widower Johns on Findmypast 1881 census within a few years of Ann's age and none of them have a little boy of the same surname with them.

Comment

oh dear - should be assume that they were still married and the surname is just a transcribing error - but what could it be - I have seen some obscure ones in the past - I dont really know where to continue with this

Comment

Aaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The man who died in 1892 in Highworth is on the findmypast 1891 index:

Household BASTON, John 1851 40 M Highworth Wiltshire

but I can't see him on Ancestry. I know he is married from the index.

Comment

so we should be able to find him on the 1891 census then

Comment

Working...
                                        X