Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you find Sarah or Hephzibah in 1851?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find Sarah or Hephzibah in 1851?

I'm hunting for Sarah and Hephzibah Dibley in 1851

in 1841 - Ancestry.co.uk

Charlotte is their step mother, and died in 1849. Their brother Joseph died in 1848.Their father, Joseph in 1851 is "visiting" a widow Jane Sheldrick. But there's no sign of the girls.

To confuse things further, Sarah Hephzibah Dibley marries Joseph Butcher in 1857, and uses this name on her son's birth certificate. There is also an entry in IGI for the baptism of Sarah Hephzibah in 1837. I'm wondering if her mother Sarah Sadd was married before and had a previous daughter also named Sarah but if that's the case why is she showing as younger than their brother?

Apologies if this too confusing for a Sunday afternoon! I may not be about for a while OH has staked a cliam on the PC:(
    Sue

Even searchig on Hep * born surrey ( there seem to be end less permutations on Hephzibar) I cant see one that resembles a Dibley
    Jess

Comment

Hang on a mo - There is this

Hephzibah Dibley
      1857 Oct-Nov-Dec Shoreditch London, Middlesex
      Groom: William Pinkstone or William Colegate

Sarah Hephzibah Dibley
      1857 Oct-Nov-Dec Shoreditch London, Middlesex
      Groom :James Butcher

Did they have a joint wedding or something perhaps?
      Jess

Comment

I've never noticed that before Jess! I've checked on IGI and Hephzibah's marriage to William Colegate was the same date as Sarah Hephzibah's. The name Hephizibah was obviously important to someone....

I wonder where they were in 1851?
        Sue

Comment

How many times did Joseph marry? I notice the bp of Joseph Thomas is before the marriage to Sarah Sadd.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The marriage to Sarah is the earliest one I've found - he would have been 23. He does seem to have been a bit of a ladies man tho! Second wife in 1841,visiting the widow in 1851, "married" (no trace of record though) in 1861 and "visiting" another in 1871!
            So it's quite possible that there was another before Sarah, but I can find no record of it if there was.
            If you remember I "lost" part of my tree earlier this week, it was Sarah's (Joseph Thomas Dibley's wife) family that disappeared! I had her as being b 1801 as Sarah Sadd to James and Dinah. That has now been proved wrong so I'm trying to start again with her. I have a burial from City of London burials for Sarah Dibley in 1835 which is about the right date but her age is given as 53, which made me wonder if maybe she had been married before which in turn made look again at the two Hephzibahs/Sarahs!
            This all sounds very muddly, sorry:o Thanks for taking the time to look!
            Sue

Comment

Gosh, Hepziba (sp!) was a widow by 1861. And appears to have remarried in Lambeth in 1867.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It obviously runs in the family - Sarah Hephzibah was widowed in 1874 and remarried in 1881 but she did stay with him until she died in 1898!

I've just found that Hephzibah died in 1869 - what a sad life....
                Last edited by Sue from Southend; 10-08-08, 21:23.
                Sue

Comment

Working...
                X