Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry

I have just had a reminder from Ancestry that my subscription runs out at the end of the month.

I can renew for £69.95 for that I get UKI OR I can renew for £83.40 and get all UK records which I am getting now.

Does anyone know what UKI is? and what I will lose if I opt for the £69.95 option?

Sue
    I just renewed last month, it was £69.95 and I get exactly the same as last year. No idea what UKI is though sorry.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Sue - didn't you pay £69.95 last year as well? I think the new price is more but they seem to be offering current members the same price as last time. I also have just renewed at £69.95 and get exactly the same as I always have done.

Anne

Comment

Lynne and Anne yes I did pay £69.95 last year. I was just confused (doesn't take much) about the two prices. The way it read to me was that I wouldn't get as much for my money this year. If you both get the same as last year then hopefully I will. Thanks for your replies,

Comment

I'd be very interested to know what the difference is between the UKI membership and the usual UK one. Googling hasn't given me the answer.

I was due to pay the standard £79.95 last year on renewal but haggled and got it down to £60 something. This year my renewal quote was £83.95 and they wouldn't agree to a discount of any sort so I haven't renewed yet.

I know I can get the £83.95 one via quidco for about £64 after cashback but would rather not.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hmmmm ... We used to complain about GR giving random prices .... it seems Ancestry are doing the same

Anne

Comment

Why can't these sites have one price for all?

Comment

UKI = "U.K. and Ireland Records Collection"

Ancestry.co.uk

Can't find anywhere where it tells you what is different about this one compared with the standard UK site though. From what I can see, the few Irish records they do have are available from the standard UK site in any case. When I click on the "Free Trial" link on the page, I get a message telling me that I am "already enjoying the benefits that this trial offers" (I have a standard UK membership).

Richard
                Last edited by Richard in Perth; 11-08-08, 03:53.

Comment

Thanks for that Richard. I think I will stick to my normal subscription.

Comment

I think perhaps the cheaper price is offered to you for a limited time, if you don't renew within that time, then it will cost you the higher price to purchase a subscription.

Is this what they could mean in the email?
                    Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
                    My family tree
                    In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Comment

I was sent a letter in May saying my Ancestry subscription was up for renewal when it wasn't up until this month. I rang them and they said a lot of letters had gone out in error and for that they would give me a 20% discount when it did renew. I rang them a week ago to remind them and have just got an email to say £69.95 would be taken out of my bank at the end of the month.

Regards
                      Jill

Comment

This is my third year with Ancestry and I've always paid the top price.

I did ask for a discount last year but no go..

]

Comment

I knew I had seen something on subscriptions here. My Ancestry sub (UK only) is about due so thought I would have a look to see what I would be up for. I was a little confused to see there is an Essentials and a Premium. Essentials is £83.40 and Premium £107.40! When I tried to compare the two versions there was nothing showing for the two types.
                          I tried to have a look to see what the difference was by copying both to a doc and going through it line by line. It would seem that Essentials does NOT include Irish historical records, Pre-1837 Parish & Probate record collections Pallot's Baptism and Marriage Indexes 1780-1837 . I don't know what everyone else thinks but I'm not happy about the way they have done this - I may just have to give them a miss for a while.:(
                          Opinions welcome
                          There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

In the end I subscribed to Ancestry.com.au

It has all the Australian records and Pallots but it hasnt got the Irish records..
                            I paid $140.95 including the 20 dollar tax..

I googled and found one with a 20% discount..

]

Comment

Marion, I think the reason for this is that they have a lot of new content due to come online in the next year and they are going to need people to pay for it, but they are giving people who only want the BMD indexes and censuses the option of just paying for those.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
                                In the end I subscribed to Ancestry.com.au

It has all the Australian records and Pallots but it hasnt got the Irish records..
                                I paid $140.95 including the 20 dollar tax..

I googled and found one with a 20% discount..
                                Does the Australian one cover all of the UK records - I don't really have any Australian links?

Comment

Just had a look at the au one - that doesn't appear to include Irish historical records, Pre-1837 Parish & Probate record collections Pallot's Baptism and Marriage Indexes 1780-1837 .
                                  Yes - I expect there is a lot more coming on in the next year - the prices have already gone up quite a bit though - I think we paid about £65 last time which included all of the "extras" so that means it will have gone up about £40 - I just thought that seemed a little high in 12 months!

Comment

I find Ancestry very good for the censuses, but of course you have to be a bit of a wizard to find some people! I also use it for Pallots.

However, I do find it hard to search in other respects - I tend to forget what is available, and it isn't always clear.

However, I use Find My Past more and more. It doesn't have full census coverage, but it is very easy to search for parish records, and I have had lots of success with that. It's also easy to search for migration.

The layout of FMP is very clear - I like the way the Birth, Marriage and Death sections are set out. I wish Ancestry was clearer.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:
                                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I like FMP for some things but funnily enough I find the BMD's easier in Ancestry!!! I must admit the migration part is excellent but there are some things I much prefer about Ancestry!! Shame we can't merge the two!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                                        Does the Australian one cover all of the UK records - I don't really have any Australian links?
                                        I do have Australian folk in my tree so its handy,,

It has all the UK censi, no Irish records but I do get Pallots. It includes all bmd records and the completed lists and the army pensions..It covers everything I need for my English rellis..

]

Comment

Working...
                                        X